FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"She needs wide open spaces"-Wide Open Spaces The Dixie Chicks
This tank's new song

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish are hiding because so much light is shining through. I enjoy seeing the open spaces.

That sounds like a fancy auction. Ours are two guys describing stuff and auctioning it haha. No screen or pre-list or anything. They do allow bidders to bump items so if you don't want to sit there the whole time (as a bidder or seller) you can pay to move stuff up. I hope it all works out!
With ref to the fissidens...I have the clump I got from you in my "walstad", no dosing, no water flow, just some CFLs and it's doubled in size. Slowly but it's growing...maybe you're just used to all the other plants exploding haha :)

The PA system, big screen, and online listing makes it pretty cool. And the BBQ truck parked outside is a plus.
Thanks for the update on the fissidens. I can never remember who I sent what. It started from a few stray strands I got from BrianNano12 last fall. It's meh in my shrimp tank but no ferts or carbon source is added. In my planted tank it swells.

Tank looks great!

I've been watching the auction listings and am so jealous! The spouse is out of town so I'm definitely not going. Will you be looking for any fish to purchase?

I imagine the list will grow during the week. If you see anything you are interested in, especially fixed price, let me know. I will send you an update when I get there. Yes, LOTS of fish listed. Local and wild caught.
Nope, no plans on fish yet. Depends on what shows up on the list.
The recent buzz on shellies has me thinking though...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I imagine the list will grow during the week. If you see anything you are interested in, especially fixed price, let me know. I will send you an update when I get there. Yes, LOTS of fish listed. Local and wild caught.
Nope, no plans on fish yet. Depends on what shows up on the list.
The recent buzz on shellies has me thinking though...

Shellies are great! With the recent posts I've been looking back at old pics and throwing around the idea of getting some again. Might be worth stopping by Petco for the $1/gallon sale :hide:

Shellies are great! With the recent posts I've been looking back at old pics and throwing around the idea of getting some again. Might be worth stopping by Petco for the $1/gallon sale :hide:

I like shellies, I've been thinking about them for a little bit now too.
And just like that, a fish not seen so often becomes popular!

Hahaha yes!

"You get a shellie tank, you get a shellie tank, you get a shellie tank, EVERYONE GETS A SHELLIE TANK!" -Oprah

I like shellies, I've been thinking about them for a little bit now too.
And just like that, a fish not seen so often becomes popular!

It seems like they make the rounds in terms of interest. Not very often seen in stores plus the fact they they're best kept in a species tank. Very addictive though...I started with multies and soon had occies, brevis, stapps :hide:

Nice try, everyone. Thou hast no power over me. I went almost 900 days without a fish purchase. True story.
I appreciate the info. Just working out the logistics in my head. Hmmm...fissidens moss covered shrimp tank with some nano fish or a shellies tank?
The weird thing about plants and fish with me: if a plant does not do well, pitch it and start again. No biggie. Now if a fish does not do well, then I get bent out of shape. Is that unusual? The whole living thing concept I guess. #buzzkill

Nice try, everyone. Thou hast no power over me. I went almost 900 days without a fish purchase. True story.
I appreciate the info. Just working out the logistics in my head. Hmmm...fissidens moss covered shrimp tank with some nano fish or a shellies tank?
The weird thing about plants and fish with me: if a plant does not do well, pitch it and start again. No biggie. Now if a fish does not do well, then I get bent out of shape. Is that unusual? The whole living thing concept I guess. #buzzkill

Must add more fish...

sit in silence...

Must add more fish...

sit in silence...

The increased activity in there makes it seem as there are more fish in there than there actually are.
Plants in groups in the holding tank:
KE7QL2g.png
So far there are 16 bundles of anywhere from 5 to 12 stems each. I might double up some of the smaller bundles. I did not have plant weights (which I don't think are very good for the water but I could be wrong) so I used loosely bound rubber bands and a ceramic noodle to bundle and weigh them down. Had the raid the filter for the noodles.
I have not gotten to the crypts in the shrimp tank. Probably 30+ C. wendtii 'red' and C. undulata specimens combined in there. I might save those for the November auction. Besides, not sure what I will be doing with that tank yet.

Looks like you're all set Fresh...
Pullin for the monoculture setup bruh..something about that setup with bee shrimp foraging all about...

sit in silence...

That pic definitely puts the number of plants in perspective! Almost thinking I should stay away from this thread until after the auction :hide:

Have you seen the fry lately?

The increased activity in there makes it seem as there are more fish in there than there actually are.
Plants in groups in the holding tank:
KE7QL2g.png
So far there are 16 bundles of anywhere from 5 to 12 stems each. I might double up some of the smaller bundles. I did not have plant weights (which I don't think are very good for the water but I could be wrong) so I used loosely bound rubber bands and a ceramic noodle to bundle and weigh them down. Had the raid the filter for the noodles.
I have not gotten to the crypts in the shrimp tank. Probably 30+ C. wendtii 'red' and C. undulata specimens combined in there. I might save those for the November auction. Besides, not sure what I will be doing with that tank yet.

Thats a lot of plants! The water level looks low in the holding tank too...

Looks like you're all set Fresh...
Pullin for the monoculture setup bruh..something about that setup with bee shrimp foraging all about...

sit in silence...

Welp, grow out that fissidens and I'll buy some back from you. I went online to look for some and it's pricey. I have not looked on TPT or GWAPA yet. I still have two patches left in the shrimp tank (looking poorly in there) and I need to move them to this tank to grow them out. The stuff I sent you looked not so good but after two weeks in the planted tank they greened up and filled out.

That pic definitely puts the number of plants in perspective! Almost thinking I should stay away from this thread until after the auction :hide:

Have you seen the fry lately?

The list was in the upper 400s last night. Lots of good deals in the fixed price section. In the auction thread in PVAS they have it grouped by fixed price and auction (easier to read).
I have not seen the fry since the day before the day I was feeding frozen BBS. Starvation? Predation? Idk.

Thats a lot of plants! The water level looks low in the holding tank too...

It's a small tank (6.6g) and once I had it filled near the top and when I put my hand in there it overflowed and made a mess (wood base, metal file cabinets, bamboo floor). Don't want to clean that up again.

Last edited:
Moss tank sounds awesome and you would make a sweet one. Personally I love to see your plant magic, artistry, wizardry which I am not capable of haha.

Moss tank sounds awesome and you would make a sweet one. Personally I love to see your plant magic, artistry, wizardry which I am not capable of haha.

Yet you have a way with the finned ones that I cannot begin to comprehend. ???
? Short (35s) video of the tank. Enjoy! [youtube]http://youtu.be/uClK8F1dytg[/youtube]
Got some more plants (like I need more) and FD food from Fish Wrangler today. More plants for the auction.
Moved the two fissidens moss to the planted tank. Looking at some 6"x6" sheets of SS mesh online. Instead of mounting the mesh flat, I might use suction cups and mount them along the side walls. Not planning to do a moss wall it's just that real estate is quite limited in the tank. I will spread the moss thinly along the mesh and secure it with light test fishing line.

Glad you liked them. If you save a few stems you'll be able to propogate at least once a month.

Welp, I've decided not to wait so long before trimming my tank. Every two weeks should be fine.
All of the plants I brought to the auction were sold. Some looked pretty worn after a day of folks handling the bags. The club takes a cut but I still made out. Worked my tail off there with various tasks and cleanup.
Picked up quite a bit of red root floaters (might be selling some soon if it grows like any of the other floating plants in my tank) and a few large clumps of subwassertang.
Perhaps the new moss tank (soon to be revamped shrimp tank) will include subwassertang as well. Hmmm...
There were some good deals at the auction:
Fluval 404 $50
AquaClear 70 $22
20 Long $14
Two 10g $4
Three hydor PH $10
Lots of plants, livebearers, killis, apistos, plecos, and wild caught fish.
The plants I bought:
shRJ3RC.png
FAl033J.png

Back
Top Bottom