FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone had their Wheaties while staying at a holiday Inn last night.. nice work.. this thread is starting to make my brain hurt;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks

Personally frosted flakes are more my style...

Thanks

Personally frosted flakes are more my style...

They're great!

Retested phosphate and it is a little over 2 ppm but not by much. I found this post on this thread from March 2014. Sounds simple enough:

Twisted or wrinkled leaves can also be due to a calcium deficiency or too much potassium and or magnesium. If holes in the plant leaves start out as pin holes and slowly enlarge that is a sign of potassium deficiency.

I like to keep my phosphates around 5ppm and have found I have do just about triple my phosphate/potassium solution daily in order to maintain that level.

Someone had their Wheaties while staying at a holiday Inn last night.. nice work.. this thread is starting to make my brain hurt;)

You and me both. Lol. Great info though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I hate algae! More on that in a minute.
Have not tested phosphate in a couple of days. I want to get a reading after several doses. Also, increased the amount of macros (no KNO3) to triple. My primary complaint was GSA on the star repens. Well, in the last week I've also seen string/hair, BBA, what looks like Staghorn algae, and possibly oedogonium. I guessing the new fixture has a lot to do with this; the ferts and/or CO2 are not in balance with the amount of light. So I've taken off the FugeRay and will run the planted+ until I get things worked out.
I spent the last few hours trimming away leaves afflicted with BBA, GSA, and stag horn from the star repens, AR, and AR mini. Looks much better now. Can't understand why I was taking the time to treat algae covered leaves that were yellow and no longer growing.
Oh yeah, alarm goes off in about 3 hours. Oh joy! Happy August Everyone!!

Nice rant! Sorry to hear about your algae problems. I'm getting green fuzz algae all over my mini fiss again. I'm starting to wonder if it's also the increased po4. I guess I'll stop being lazy and test my parameters.

I feel you bro. He planted plus is a powerful light, combined with the fugeray you were probably pushing almost 90 par.. i have issues with algae with just the p plus on a 16" tank..you'll get it dialed in soon enough!! Not like your mini fissedens had a blanket of nasty bg all over it:(

It was around 2 am EST so a little late for a water change. I have tuffs of BBA on the substrate. Plus a few sprigs of java moss taking hold. Much easier to just siphon up the algae, moss and whatever eco grains are attached to it.
Otherwise, the DC is not blue; went from bluish green to yellowish green, even 4 hours after the CO2 stopped. Just checked it now and it's bluish green with a thin layer of blue on top; interesting to see layers in it. Coincidentally, I started directing the CO2 mist into the HOB intake a few days ago. Perhaps that is more effective at getting CO2 dissolved than not putting it through the HOB? I do enjoy seeing fewer bubbles floating around in the water column.
Plants are pearling even before I trimmed them up from the leaves and roots. It's time to harvest the star repens. Last month I got 35-40 trimmed tops. Probably more this time around. Any interested, then holler.
I'll see how it does with less light. If this works out then maybe the FugeRay will go on the shrimp tank. I also have a spare 24" 6.6 g acrylic tank...maybe it can go on there as I setup a new "holding tank". I use that term for the wife because it sounds temporary. "Nah honey, the person in sending these to is not ready yet, so they will go into the 'holding tank' for now".

Hahaha....holding tank...;) I like it. I have my "grow out" tank behind my 29g so the wife doesn't know. Kinda took it from my daughter. Lol ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406897084.441363.jpg

I'll take some stars, if you don't mind.

Rut roh!
gVXrok7.jpg
Gauge reads zero but it's still putting out about 3 bps. I will be heading to Dicks Sporting Goods in the AM to refill the tank. It has been 4 months and a day since I got this 24 oz tank filled. Pretty good deal for $4.29.
Here is an update after I trimmed off all of the algae covered leaves. Still treating with peroxide for some type of fine algae on the Rotala wallichii. Pogo is still growing; slow and steady. Moss wall (which happened on its own) is spreading and getting thicker. The star repens needs to be trimmed.
cGH0ukz.jpg

Dang I wish my star repens would get going like that.

That moss is just glued to the glass huh?? Not reaching for anything?

Nope! I call shenanigans! No way that moss wall happened on its own! :lol:

Did it really because that would astound me.

That moss is just glued to the glass huh?? Not reaching for anything?

No glue at all. I think it started on the substrate in the back of the tank and slowly crept up the back wall. I don't clean the back so the existing algae may have provided an ideal surface for moss to cling to and take hold. So far there are about three areas where this is happening. I might just let it go and see what happens. Yes, it does reach out away from the wall a bit but it is spreading sideways just fine. If it starts to reach out to the stem plants then I will trim it back. A little algae on it but the glut/peroxide spot treatment is taking care of that. I don't mind java moss as long as I know where it is growing.

Whats goin' on Fresh...? Your tanks is looking great. Hate to hear your fighting the algea..That AR mini really sets it off...

Whats goin' on Fresh...? Your tanks is looking great. Hate to hear your fighting the algea..That AR mini really sets it off...

Thanks. Algae...with increased lighting I suppose it was inevitable. So many different kinds at once though. Yes, the AR mini is a bit of a challenge. Hopefully I am getting a handle on it.
I emptied my paintball tank prior to disconnecting the regulator. I put the diffuser in a glass of water and opened up the needle valve. The output was nearly overflowing the glass. This went on for at least 10 minutes. I got tired of waiting; took a shower and when I got back the output was a slow fine mist. I bet I could have squeezed out at least another week or two on the tank even though the gauge read zero tank pressure yesterday.
http://i.imgur.com/f0fBe16.jpg[/URL]
Alex - Here is an example of moss clinging to the walls of glass container: [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/S22nLwF.jpg
Top view of the moss...ignore the red; that's just dead algae.
5Pz9SEF.jpg
Uf6ZMEf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom