FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here a video from early 2014. DYI CO2; Just started using PPS-Pro. This is the closest the tetras have "schooled" if you want to call it that. Video is a little hazy. Everyone moving in slow motion. A little more upbeat than the last one:
http://youtu.be/yaDIjtNoNEs
Please ignore the crooked angle. I just noticed this. Something to do with the ocular or lens on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Update on my tank:
8P6nWy2.png

Barely had time to add food and ferts the last few days. Aside from work, been busy installing bamboo flooring in another room. Slow and steady. Sore and covered in sawdust.
Anyhow, several stems of the R wallichii are getting close to the surface. They are getting the coloration that I saw on the website where I purchased them. At least the top portions are. The pogo erectus and AR provide a striking contrast with each other. The Bacopa caroliniana is over due for a trim. As with the AR mini and star repens. Downoi has bounced back from the funk it was in. The Ammania bonsai is forming a little army in the left corner. I think that everyone.
(Knock on wood) BBA and stag horn have taken a vacation. Some GSA present but not too much.
Hopefully the next pic will show the star repens hacked down and the AR mini thinned.

Flooring is the worst, back and knees are junk for days... tank looks really great fresh! That new light is really getting that ar nice and lush huh??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks are deceiving. About 7 of the 18-20 AR mini have healthy growing tips with well formed leaves. The rest have curled up new growth. When I get the chance, I will remove and replant the healthy growth. For the not so healthy specimens, I will snip off the tops, remove the lower algae covered leaves and replant them. I may have to do that same with the regular AR. Fingers crossed that they will recover. Tank is pretty much on cruise control until I get to it (maybe this weekend).
The click style flooring is easy to work with though I find that if you don't get the spacing just right on a given plank, the whole row may have to be lifted and restarted. Knee pads help.

Man your tank looks super lush and healthy. I know my plants come from good genes, just a matter of time

Fresh, sent you a pm about the reactor!

Thanks Pitt! I think things are stabilized from the looks of it. Have not tested phosphate this week. Not sure what I will find. Hopefully 5 ppm. I was not a fan of this plant early on but I figured I would try it out and it sort of grew on me.
Brookster I saw the pm but is was so late I would have responded like a drunk texter. I can picture it from what you have described but send a pic of the rig when you get a chance. The bio balls are for increased surface area? Speaking of which, I have something similar from my pond days. They are plastic barrels called Pall Rings used for stripping, aeration, degassing, bio filtration, and mech filtration. I have a few trash bags full of it in the attic (I had 5 cubic feet at one time). Talk about a hoarder.
Would be interesting if you got zero micro bubbles in the output of the reactor. The DC should be able monitor the efficiency of it.

Thanks for the compliments! Need to give you guys some credit for this and for helping me spend my money. Seriously, the countless informative posts and the intro to plants I would not have tried otherwise. Last few days I've been busy and spend only the time it takes for feeding and ferts + 5 more minutes.

I feel you man. I've also been busy with work and the kids. I probably spend the same amount of time as you on the tank. I spend more time talking/writing about it than actually in it. Lol

Messages deleted. Show me the money!
Did nothing with the tanks aside from feeding & ferts. I did finish installing new bamboo flooring in a bedroom today.

Updated pics. Before trimming the tank last night.
Left side:
C9lrMVK.png

Left middle:
0G9zsry.png

Right middle:
191OYQD.png

Right side:
J9Z3wCB.png

FTS Before:
BWoWzVe.png

FTS After:
r3LVya8.png

Removed all of the AR mini. Kept about 20%; half of that for me and other half was shipped out. Most of it had twisted growth or algae covered leaves. Trimmed the Rotala and replanted in the new real estate. Slight trim to the star repens and mowed down the bacopa. I've been away for a few days so the fish and plants went on an unplanned diet. Cleaned the algae off new drop checker. Still have a surplus of star repens.

So fresh and so clean...cleannnn... did it hurt? When you massacred your ar patch.. I'm tearing up over here.

So fresh and so clean...cleannnn... did it hurt? When you massacred your ar patch.. I'm tearing up over here.

Hmmm...with Sk3lly throwing out Pogo and now this...
I cheerfully ripped them out and the water looked like chocolate milk. Roots were pretty deep and coated with EcoComplete. Muah hahahaha!!!!
It really was not that pretty up close (you've got aquarium goggles on). Lots of curled up and deformed leaves. Not sure if they would recover even under the best of care. I still have the ones that were not replanted or sold. They went into my small pond out back. Temps (F) got into 50s last night.
My goal was to:
1. Trim the Rotala wallichii
2. Get back some AR mini real estate to make room for the Rotala and eventual pogo cuttings
3. Only plant the healthy portions of AR mini, free of pale, algae covered leaves. From what I'm reading, I'm not the only one with problems with AR and algae.
I did the same thing with both AR mini and star repens carpets about 5 months ago. Both bounced back fine.

Like the before and after shots. When you trim, do you leave the mother plant alone or take it out and just replant the trimming or a combination of both? Just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom