FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very nice fresh waiting for my planted 24\7 in the mail with a ray 2 supposdly it has hi par I have a 45 tall so hope it reaches the bottom

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

I think the combination will do fine at that depth. Especially if you go max on the 24/7. I would definitely run two timers for the lights. That way you could keep one on all the time if you decide to use the 24/7 mode. Else, you could set them up to run 6 hours each. The second timer could come on at the fourth hour of the first timer giving you a two hour maximum light period. Or have the second one come on sooner.
Still getting used to having the lights on late at night and early in the morning (albeit subdued). Really cool effect, though. Wife actually mentioned she likes the non-peak colors from the fixture. I'm thinking I might get one for the shrimp tank in the bedroom because late at night even the FugeRay seems a bit bright. Then it plunges to total darkness when the timer cycle ends. Hmmm...

Everything is looking nice. New plants and new lights...lucky you. Lol.

With the HC you can probably add some tooth picks to the corners to "hold down" the plants until the roots take hold. I have to do that with s.repens since my MTS are heathens.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ha-ha! The toothpicks work fine with S. repens. But the HC Cuba are so small that the s. repens look like giant oak trees. The MTS pushed those plants and toothpicks around like the Denver linebackers did to the Carolina offensive tackles in the Super Bowl this past weekend. I ended up gluing the HC Cuba to 1"X1" SS squares. Still the MTS managed to push some of those out of the substrate. I buried them a bit deeper and that seems to help. But I suppose I could use the toothpicks to keep the SS squares down...that should work. The HC Cuba are producing fine roots and hopefully soon these will help stabilize the plants.
The Glosso on the other hand are sending numerous downward pointing runners out. I can see this taking over the tank. I will prolly remove some s repens to give the Glosso more space.
I have about a dozen dwarf sag plants that need to go. Nothing wrong with them but they are starting to spread into the HC Cuba section.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Really cool effect, though. Wife actually mentioned she likes the non-peak colors from the fixture.

Me too. Blindingly bright light and pearling plants everywhere is great and all and really grabs your attention, but the more colorful and subdued morning and evening cycles are what I really love about this fixture. I also have the 30" version that I purchased in October. Mine is smooth on the top surface, without the two lines of ridges I can see in your photo. 2nd gen perhaps?

Tank's looking great, Fresh!

Me too. Blindingly bright light and pearling plants everywhere is great and all and really grabs your attention, but the more colorful and subdued morning and evening cycles are what I really love about this fixture. I also have the 30" version that I purchased in October. Mine is smooth on the top surface, without the two lines of ridges I can see in your photo. 2nd gen perhaps?

Tank's looking great, Fresh!

Thanks!
I was looking at a 2015 24/6 review on TPT and I noticed the top panel was flat (no grooves/channels). Maybe second gen in chassis only.

Hey fresh20 what would be a good timer for them

I use $10 generic two prong digital timers I got at Target. It has a battery that keeps the settings in case you unplug it. It only has one on/off cycle per day. On the top is a manual/auto toggle switch; handy when you need to extend the ON cycle. Slim design only takes up the place of a single plug (on a power strip for instance).

This is my apisto community tank
b4d7cc0148ac7a21408142dd36e2c9a0.jpg

I think the combination will do fine at that depth. Especially if you go max on the 24/7. I would definitely run two timers for the lights. That way you could keep one on all the time if you decide to use the 24/7 mode. Else, you could set them up to run 6 hours each. The second timer could come on at the fourth hour of the first timer giving you a two hour maximum light period. Or have the second one come on sooner.
Still getting used to having the lights on late at night and early in the morning (albeit subdued). Really cool effect, though. Wife actually mentioned she likes the non-peak colors from the fixture. I'm thinking I might get one for the shrimp tank in the bedroom because late at night even the FugeRay seems a bit bright. Then it plunges to total darkness when the timer cycle ends. Hmmm...

Ha-ha! The toothpicks work fine with S. repens. But the HC Cuba are so small that the s. repens look like giant oak trees. The MTS pushed those plants and toothpicks around like the Denver linebackers did to the Carolina offensive tackles in the Super Bowl this past weekend. I ended up gluing the HC Cuba to 1"X1" SS squares. Still the MTS managed to push some of those out of the substrate. I buried them a bit deeper and that seems to help. But I suppose I could use the toothpicks to keep the SS squares down...that should work. The HC Cuba are producing fine roots and hopefully soon these will help stabilize the plants.
The Glosso on the other hand are sending numerous downward pointing runners out. I can see this taking over the tank. I will prolly remove some s repens to give the Glosso more space.
I have about a dozen dwarf sag plants that need to go. Nothing wrong with them but they are starting to spread into the HC Cuba section.

I'll take the Dwarf Sag off your hands if you want. Send me a PM.

This is my apisto community tank
b4d7cc0148ac7a21408142dd36e2c9a0.jpg

That's a cool background. Is it a 3D background inside the tank or outside of the tank?
In my shrimp tank I've glued moss to DW with decent results.
I've never tried dwarf cichlids. Nano fish only in my planted tank.

Thx yea it the one inside the tank i had a 75 peacock an hap tank jus got tired of no plants all males jus nothing to see so down sized an saw someone with apistos an was like i want those lol

Here is a brief (1 min) video of the tank in the evening. The lighting emphasizes the reds and blues and downplays the greens in the tank. The reddish fins of the CPDs can be clearly seen. In the subdued lighting the fish are quite active. [youtube]http://youtu.be/a9aGLlQ1PKg[/YouTube]
Some pics. Blyxa spp, AR mini, Downoi:
qvkPfMrh.jpg
Glosso:
yz2vOn8h.jpg
HC Cuba:
SFi2dPch.jpg
Left side:
eNyyrCgh.jpg
Right side:
bUgfqLeh.jpg
FTS:
2IB7ummh.jpg

Thanks all!
Last night I dropped in an algae wafer as a treat for the Otos and amanos. I should not have dropped off near the HC Cuba. Of course the MTS were all over it. In the process they managed to separate two bunches of HC Cuba from their SS mesh squares (still in the substrate). I may have to reglue them AND tie them down with fishing line. Or use a larger piece of mesh (4"x4") and attach several prices to that.
The Glosso is sending runners out in every direction. Each runner has a pair of leaves every half inch. The "Egg Patch" will be filled in in no time.
Downoi propagate by side shoots off the main stem. Once those shoots develop roots, they can be separated and both plants can replanted.

Those pesky snails!

At least flat worms don't uproot plants ?

Dang em! They can be a pain sometimes....

I think I need to start thinning the herd. I can start a regimen of pulling out X number of them per week and dump them in my temp/holding/QT tank.

The plants are already making great growth and filling in! They are looking very nice.

Thanks! Some are doing better than others. I have noticed what looks like chlorosis in the Staur repens. Pronounced veining and lighter shades in some areas of the leaves. Ferts have not changed, only the lighting. I should test the nitrate and phosphate because it's been a while.

Back
Top Bottom