FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well this is my tank sorry about the lighting

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1471435483137.jpg
    1471435483137.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 1471435534149.jpg
    1471435534149.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 1471435563142.jpg
    1471435563142.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 1471435674108.jpg
    1471435674108.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 70
Well this is my tank sorry about the lighting

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Talk about hornwort city! I just saw a pond full of it at a local garden center. It was growing very well in the shade. I imagine it makes a great fry and invert habitat.
Why is the water level so low and who is in the "cage"?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

so this is my 48 cube filled half way cause the light is not enough atm one of the i seen some of you have the lighting i was looking at for the past week which is the planted+ cause it has this fancy true red light that helps plants grow

is one good enough for my 48 gal cube ?

Talk about hornwort city! I just saw a pond full of it at a local garden center. It was growing very well in the shade. I imagine it makes a great fry and invert habitat.
Why is the water level so low and who is in the "cage"?

yeah i got the hornwort cause its 2.98$ at my local fish store and i found it useful for babies to hide in it some float at the top so i can see it provides good use so i got like 4-8 bunches of it every time i get a chance to make sure the babies have a good place to hide and chill

with me a tank is like a habitat its not my place to mess with nature so i let it run its course big fish eats a little fish i guess its nature but if you can prevent it then its a good thing to see em grow

i know for some its like nah i rather separate them for me is like i rather get plants and ornies to help them survive.. so far i got tons of fry and they still alive and kicking with more on the way.. once i get a better angle i will take pics of the guppie fry..

the plants i got in there is Java Moss, Java Fern, Hornwort, Banana Plant, baby tears, and idk what that purple one is but its the last picture there..

As far as fishes goes

i got some

Platies had one male and one female they had 3 sets of babies
till the mother got old stressed and passed..

got guppies 2 endler males 3 fancy males the rest are females lost count tho the female ratio is larger then the male..

two bushy nose plecos tho i cant sex them atm got them both the same size but it seems one got bigger then the other.. ghost feeder shrimps tho they also have been breeding and caged betta's male/female that a friend gave me.. and tons of MTSnails.. with 2 assassin snails on the job had 4 but one ate the other and one went for the open contract hit.. so left with two ..

This is the 'mini' variety, though some 'regular' might be mixed in. Growing it is one thing; getting that deep red color is another. I just shipped off about a dozen or so stems yesterday.
The other red plant in the tank on the left side are a couple of stems of Ludwigia sp. 'red'. They tend to get straggly although I really like the red color.

Ah I see now. I'll bet this is even more demanding what with being close to the substrate and all?

Ah I see now. I'll bet this is even more demanding what with being close to the substrate and all?

It can be. In lesser light, the leaf coloration is anything but bright red. Maybe brick red. Also, if I allow it to get tall, the lower leaves tend to get greenish and attract algae (BBA).
Interestingly, I have some cuttings in my holding tank that gets no CO2, occasional ferts, and is lit by a single 17W T-8 bulb. It floats at the surface and is as red as the ones in my planted tank. Yes, distance from the light makes a distance.

Alternanthera reineckii it's a stem plant but cut short. It's a slow grower and in my experience doesn't compete well if not given optimal conditions.

Ahh ok :) my set up is high light and about to have pressurised co2 so I might have a go at growing them. They just look awesome in a line like in his tank. Really sets it off :)

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Ahh ok :) my set up is high light and about to have pressurised co2 so I might have a go at growing them. They just look awesome in a line like in his tank. Really sets it off :)

If you can find some, go for it! If you like lines, here are some pics of the tank back in MAR 2015. Was using DW as dividers for Staur repens, AR mini, and Downoi:
08UEWTa.png

bOrydPp.png

Required frequent trimming (meh) to keep up appearances. I eventually removed the DW. JUL 2015:
4oQuNLs.png

The Dwarf AR mini is really a beautiful plant. Do you dose any separate iron? Or use clay, mineral or other special tabs for it? I killed mine with lack of light I am afraid.

The last pic is great. Reminds me of a garden. Is that blyxa japonica in the centre? I love the look of that plant. Always catches my eye. I should do something with this myself.

It can be. In lesser light, the leaf coloration is anything but bright red. Maybe brick red. Also, if I allow it to get tall, the lower leaves tend to get greenish and attract algae (BBA).
Interestingly, I have some cuttings in my holding tank that gets no CO2, occasional ferts, and is lit by a single 17W T-8 bulb. It floats at the surface and is as red as the ones in my planted tank. Yes, distance from the light makes a distance.

I found mine did exactly the same with the lower leaves. Even the lower leaves on the ludwigia repens would occasionally drop off. I'm not a huge fan of alternanthera. In my tank at the moment I trimmed some tops very short and planted it close to the substrate. It hasn't budged in about 4 weeks and the leaves are growing hair algae. It can't compete with the other plants. Namely the nymphoides Taiwan which, although is such a beautiful looking plant, is drinking my soda stream bottle for fun.

I found mine did exactly the same with the lower leaves. Even the lower leaves on the ludwigia repens would occasionally drop off. I'm not a huge fan of alternanthera. In my tank at the moment I trimmed some tops very short and planted it close to the substrate. It hasn't budged in about 4 weeks and the leaves are growing hair algae. It can't compete with the other plants. Namely the nymphoides Taiwan which, although is such a beautiful looking plant, is drinking my soda stream bottle for fun.

Get a big bottle ;) I just picked up a 2.6kg for $172 it's 22 to fill

My 24oz (0.68kg) tank is averaging about 3 months per refill (~$5).
Yes, that's Blyxa japonica in the center of the last pic. Got it from BrianNano12 about 2 years ago. It's actually a pretty fast growing plant that does not get too tall.

My 24oz (0.68kg) tank is averaging about 3 months per refill (~$5).
Yes, that's Blyxa japonica in the center of the last pic. Got it from BrianNano12 about 2 years ago. It's actually a pretty fast growing plant that does not get too tall.

How do you go about trimming it?

How do you go about trimming it?

You don't. Well it never got tall in my tank. It does produce quite a few side shoots that I separate and replant.

I'm just looking in to places that can fill it for me. ?

That's why I went with the paintball tank. I get it refilled at a local (national chain) sporting goods store.

No trimming! That sounds like my kind if plant ?

Never seen it being sold round here. Would have to order online.

Back
Top Bottom