FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update: found a few more molts but no more deaths. Counted 7 of 8. Here's a pic of four of them a dinner time:
9woE7av.jpg

Had some extra plants I cleared out from the planted tank and moved them into the shrimp tank. Still need to trim the stem plants. This started out with moss and crypts.
Lx4zXk8.jpg

Now if only the shrimp would start, well, making more shrimp.

Tank is looking good and shrimp are pretty ;).

How long has the tank been up, so in regards to the biofilm...or maybe lack there of.

I understand some rainwater (soft water), of just using water a little cooler than their normal water can help them get into the breeding mood. It is like the rainy season which triggers breeding behavior in nature.

I have tried this (several times when it seems they aren't doing anything) and they have SEEMED to respond well, but don't know if it was a coincidence...Ended up with saddled females and eventually babies.

Tank is looking good and shrimp are pretty ;).

How long has the tank been up, so in regards to the biofilm...or maybe lack there of.

I understand some rainwater (soft water), of just using water a little cooler than their normal water can help them get into the breeding mood. It is like the rainy season which triggers breeding behavior in nature.

I have tried this (several times when it seems they aren't doing anything) and they have SEEMED to respond well, but don't know if it was a coincidence...Ended up with saddled females and eventually babies.

Tank was cycled in May. Shrimp have been in there since June. Started with 3. Two weeks later added 5. Over the next two weeks 6 died. All deaths occurred AFTER molting.
Did some research, check gh/kh, added cuttlebone. Had 2 shrimp for a few months. Added 6 more. Over the next month 3 died.
Have 5 for the last month or two. I think they are all female (yellowish saddle on back).

A few of them are usually out exploring but most of the time they hide behind the DW unless I drop in a wafer or some shrimp cuisine. There is a moss ball in there but they ignore it. When they are out, they spend time on the DW/moss and sponge over the filter intake. I have diatoms growing on the sides (limpets feed on it). I used to see hydra, detritus worms, seed shrimp, and Copepods but for some reason I don't anymore. Just the limpets and some type of small snail with a rams horn type shell, however, they carry the shell flat and not upright like a rams horn.

Might check out AquaBid so that I can bump up the population to 15-20. The price at the LFS is high ($4.29 each).

Yeah you must have all females or something because I just recently got some blue velvets like three or four weeks ago and already have three berried females

Tank was cycled in May. Shrimp have been in there since June. Started with 3. Two weeks later added 5. Over the next two weeks 6 died. All deaths occurred AFTER molting.
Did some research, check gh/kh, added cuttlebone. Had 2 shrimp for a few months. Added 6 more. Over the next month 3 died.
Have 5 for the last month or two. I think they are all female (yellowish saddle on back).

A few of them are usually out exploring but most of the time they hide behind the DW unless I drop in a wafer or some shrimp cuisine. There is a moss ball in there but they ignore it. When they are out, they spend time on the DW/moss and sponge over the filter intake. I have diatoms growing on the sides (limpets feed on it). I used to see hydra, detritus worms, seed shrimp, and Copepods but for some reason I don't anymore. Just the limpets and some type of small snail with a rams horn type shell, however, they carry the shell flat and not upright like a rams horn.

Might check out AquaBid so that I can bump up the population to 15-20. The price at the LFS is high ($4.29 each).

Check here there are a couple people who usually have them available for around a buck each for regular cherries and 2 for Fire red...

Maybe your tank needed more maturity at the beginning. Do you change the water very often? they don't generally like too much water changed, or very often. Hydra aren't good for shrimp, they can sting and kill them. Are you sure they are gone? They usually don't just disappear...

Check here there are a couple people who usually have them available for around a buck each for regular cherries and 2 for Fire red...

Maybe your tank needed more maturity at the beginning. Do you change the water very often? they don't generally like too much water changed, or very often. Hydra aren't good for shrimp, they can sting and kill them. Are you sure they are gone? They usually don't just disappear...

I will check with members about obtaining shrimp.
WCs take place about every two weeks. 25-40%.
Well, they hydra (and seed shrimp, copepods) reduced in numbers over the last 3-4 months. Just today I was checking out what still in there and all I see are the odd little snails and limpets. Hydra gone is a good thing. But are they gone because the seed shrimp and pods are gone? I assumed having seed shrimp and pods around was a good thing. Also, I don't see detritus worms anymore. Odd. Nothing has changed maintenance wise except I started using a gravel vac about a month ago. But the population drop occurred well before this.

I will check with members about obtaining shrimp.
WCs take place about every two weeks. 25-40%.
Well, they hydra (and seed shrimp, copepods) reduced in numbers over the last 3-4 months. Just today I was checking out what still in there and all I see are the odd little snails and limpets. Hydra gone is a good thing. But are they gone because the seed shrimp and pods are gone? I assumed having seed shrimp and pods around was a good thing. Also, I don't see detritus worms anymore. Odd. Nothing has changed maintenance wise except I started using a gravel vac about a month ago. But the population drop occurred well before this.

Hard to know, from my view, many little things can go wrong. Maybe an expert keeper will know.

I would watch feeding and maybe watch to see if you can cut down on food quantity, just like a 1/4 of the amount, but maybe feed 2x per day and see how they are doing. (half the food divided into two feedings)
that helps keep the water quality good and the shrimp healthier, maybe cut back on the snails and other creatures lurking around.

I have found that my regular RH snails were eating more of my shrimp food than my shrimp were so I cut them back. removed almost all of them. I have been able to cut my food down so water quality should stay even better and less snails pooping! lol

Hope something here helps you :flowers:.

Shrimp tank update. Only have five (5) RCS in there. Planning to order 15-20 more to get a colony going. Trimmed and replanted some of the stem plants. It's a low light tank and I prefer it (less maintenance in terms of trimming).

Here is a pic of one of the RCS munching on a wafer; left half; right half; and full tank shot:
36RPRv6.jpg

IRSBFk9.jpg

BG1QqKN.jpg

k6dxoZJ.jpg

Thanks for the shrimp compliments! I just need more of them. The tank is always evolving.

Still experimenting with the layout of the new stones. Will try to add a few more and/or rearrange them to give a more natural appearance. If I squint they look like dinner rolls! Gosh, that's making me hungry...time for a snack.

Thanks for the shrimp compliments! I just need more of them. The tank is always evolving.

Still experimenting with the layout of the new stones. Will try to add a few more and/or rearrange them to give a more natural appearance. If I squint they look like dinner rolls! Gosh, that's making me hungry...time for a snack.

As for your stones...dig out a few handfuls of substrate then try sort of tossing the stones into the depression, then drop the handfuls of substrate back on top of them. After this, they should look more like they were there in the scape naturally.

You can slightly adjust the stones more to your liking but the point is to keep them looking like the top soil eroded away from the stones. :flowers:

As for your stones...dig out a few handfuls of substrate then try sort of tossing the stones into the depression, then drop the handfuls of substrate back on top of them. After this, they should look more like they were there in the scape naturally.

You can slightly adjust the stones more to your liking but the point is to keep them looking like the top soil eroded away from the stones. :flowers:

Okay, I have partially buried stones. after taking a pic, it appears the ones along the front right corner do look "in line" but given the proximity to the front glass (I like to keep some clearance for the mag cleaner to pass through) and the plant's roots, it did not leave too much wiggle room. What do you think?
zSnT2ON.jpg

The stones do look better ;) Yeah it is a little in a line there, I would jog one of them back a little.

More importantly, what are you thinking about it? It is your tank...?

The stones do look better ;) Yeah it is a little in a line there, I would jog one of them back a little.

More importantly, what are you thinking about it? It is your tank...?

I thinks it's an improvement. When I look at the tank I don't see "dinner rolls" any more. I may adjust the "line" a bit. Other than that, I'll leave it be and concentrate on stocking.

New shrimp! All different sizes and at least four berried females. So much activity in the tank now.
6BL5T8Y.jpg

i8oNcxb.jpg

ArBuNRZ.jpg

WBaIRqn.jpg

Look like the shrimps have a new better home for them...compare to a 10 gallon tank they used to live in!
Very nice set up! I have to read this thread again!

Back
Top Bottom