FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your MTS are very nicely colored and have a nice pattern! Great pic of supper pals.

They are in great condition.
Here's a pic of the same MTS that have been living in my planted tank. Definitely affected by the water conditions.
tmr2VTR.png
Occasionally I will move a few from the planted tank to the shrimp tank. It takes a few months before (improved) new growth is visible. I would imagine they are happier in the shrimp tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have not updated this thread in almost a month. Well, the ballast is probably dead in the light for my shrimp tank (Coralife aqualight T5 NO). Took the Finnex FugeRay from the planted tank and put it on the shrimp tank. Wow! This fixture is bright (rather, the T5 NO was very dim). So this is going from low light to the lower range of medium light. Lookie here:
INpIrLU.png

That is looking beautiful. What is your favorite light for a mid light planted tank?

Thank you!
For a medium light tank, I've only used the Finnex FugeRay and Planted+. Assuming medium light is in the range of 30-80 PAR, the Finnex FugeRay produces about 45 PAR at 12" (the height of a 20g long). CO2 is not really needed IMO but the plants will benefit from it. I've been able to grow all of the plants I currently have in my planted tank. Some just grow very slowly under that light. Ferts were a combo of API Leaf Zone and Seachem Flourish Comprehensive.
The Planted+ produces about 61 PAR at 12". Strongly recommend PPS-Pro ferts with this (save some $$$). Pressurized CO2 for consistent CO2 although glut can be used.
Edit: I have no experience with the Current USA series but I hear positive things about them for medium lighting from other members on this forum.

Last edited:
Thank you!
For a medium light tank, I've only used the Finnex FugeRay and Planted+. Assuming medium light is in the range of 30-80 PAR, the Finnex FugeRay produces about 45 PAR at 12" (the height of a 20g long). CO2 is not really needed IMO but the plants will benefit from it. I've been able to grow all of the plants I currently have in my planted tank. Some just grow very slowly under that light. Ferts were a combo of API Leaf Zone and Seachem Flourish Comprehensive.
The Planted+ produces about 61 PAR at 12". Strongly recommend PPS-Pro ferts with this (save some $$$). Pressurized CO2 for consistent CO2 although glut can be used.
Edit: I have no experience with the Current USA series but I hear positive things about them for medium lighting from other members on this forum.

I have the Current USA 36" on my 4' tank (72G & its not enough) and got it for my DD's 36" tank but decided to play with it first before I gave it to her. I like it and also a 44" older generation strip light (the one with no fixture). Just trying to decide before I purchase the 48-60" fixture and spend the money (y). Thanks for the insight. For 2 years I have been messing around with sub PAR (lol) lighting and I am ready for the proper fixture!

With your beautiful tanks there is no arguing what good light (and consistent attention) can help accomplish.

Looking good Fresh..how large would you estimate your shrimp colony to be?
I'm thinking about introducing some tangerines from a 10g currently up&running into the 20L..

20L Mafia

Here is an updated pic of the shrimp tank:
oY0RET8.png

I counted between 40 and 50 shrimp but due to the plants it's hard to say how many there are actually in there. I may get a better count during dinner time.
Tangerines sound cool. For me I'm still at shrimp newb level.

Here is an updated pic of the shrimp tank:
oY0RET8.png

I counted between 40 and 50 shrimp but due to the plants it's hard to say how many there are actually in there. I may get a better count during dinner time.
Tangerines sound cool. For me I'm still at shrimp newb level.

I bet I have well over 100 in the 10g breeding like rabbits...

20L Mafia

It's been a month since I posted an update on this thread...this is what happens when I drop algae wafers in the shrimp tank:
nEP3LQW.png

Lots of snails! The food seems to attract the planaria so when enough gathered in one area i nuked them with some half strength glut. Turned them into curly fries. Was careful not to add too much and not near any shrimp.
The Fugeray is supporting plant growth much better than the dual T5 NO that died. I might move the rest of the ludwigia Sp. red in this tank.

Just wanted to follow along. That's a ton of snails! I've heard the calcium from the shells might affect breeding of the shrimp? <-- Not verified!

Just wanted to follow along. That's a ton of snails! I've heard the calcium from the shells might affect breeding of the shrimp? <-- Not verified!

Welcome! I'm thinking the sheer number of snails might deplete the Ca+ level. Sounds logical. Early on I had molting related deaths. I keep chunks of cuttlebone in the filter as well as add some montmorillonite clay after water changes.

Noticed something odd today. I had to remove the fissidens moss from my planted tank due to a space issue and placed two clumps in the shrimp tank. Side by side. After dropping a wafer in the tank, the snails began to emerge and appear only on one of the clumps of moss. No idea why.
Yz0ekhH.png

Noticed something odd today. I had to remove the fissidens moss from my planted tank due to a space issue and placed two clumps in the shrimp tank. Side by side. After dropping a wafer in the tank, the snails began to emerge and appear only on one of the clumps of moss. No idea why.
Yz0ekhH.png

Its a snail tree! Wafer dust particles floated to that bunch due to filter flow - maybe.

"This one's ours let's take another!!!"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
The Rotala macrandra i added to the shrimp tank floated for a few weeks before I planted it. Leaves went green but looks like they are turning pinkish again. Cool bi-color:
MO3KgmX.png
Here is a FTS. It's looking more like a planted tank with shrimp than a shrimp tank with plants. The fissidens moss is adjusting well. Seeing more crypt runners appearing here and there:
SHiizVm.png

Have not updated this thread in almost a month. Well, the ballast is probably dead in the light for my shrimp tank (Coralife aqualight T5 NO). Took the Finnex FugeRay from the planted tank and put it on the shrimp tank. Wow! This fixture is bright (rather, the T5 NO was very dim). So this is going from low light to the lower range of medium light. Lookie here:
INpIrLU.png

Just a quick question... How long did the ballast last for your fixture in terms of years?

Just a quick question... How long did the ballast last for your fixture in terms of years?

About 2.25 years. 30" Coralife dual T5 Normal Output. $35. It was my planted tank starter light. Made me realize that I needed a stronger light fixture.

Back
Top Bottom