Freshwater Barracuda???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DARK Jak

Aquarium Advice Freak
well im about to "adopt" a fish tank from someone who can no longer take care of it. it seems to be a freshwater barracuda and i cant find much info on the species but was wondering if anyone knows anything usefull on the subject as the tank is farely bare and id like to fix it up a bit as well as make it a little more natural so any advice would be great thanks!

thanks those links helped a lot (but were slitely controversial) some said to have them in densely planted tanks wile some said to have them in open water so that leaves me with just one question but otherwise im good!
and thanks again! if there is anyone with experience that could tell me which it is that would be great!

At work, we have them (3-4 inches) with congo tetras of the same size. They don't seem to concerned with the tetras. They devour little guppies, and they are quite fast. Hope that's a fairly big tank, I think they get to a decent size.

I would go with lightly planted. They seem to like the ambush style of attack.

umm im pretty sure its full grown at the moment as it is, ...almost a foot long (well full grown for an aquarium) will a 55g be ok or do you think it will need a bigger tank? because if it may need to be bigger im afraid that its out of my reach (financially) to get a bigger tank. well hope not but if you have an idea please tell. :D

I think it's a bit small.
Is it a 55 long or tall?

I would think a powerful fish like that would need some room to move.
I have a 120G and the only fish i have that will get close to a foot is a BGK which is more of a forager anyway, not as much need for room.

Hope you get to keep him in some way though, great looking species.

its a 55g long its 4' long so, well... i dont know but the current owner has it in a 55g with very little problems and i hope when i get it in a planted tank it will be fine

Back
Top Bottom