Freshwater Eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBouchard

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to the fish store and was inquiring about eels for my tank (or something along those lines) And the gentleman told me about a Snowflake freshwater eel. I looked them up and only found salt water kinds. He had mentioned there were ones for each and that they looked nothing alike. Can anyone help me out with this? I want to get more information before I buy it.

I'd hold off on that. From what I kno about them they prefer brackish water and aren't very good tankmates. I'd go with a fire eel

I've personally never heard of a freshwater snowflake eel. What size tank do you have? Other fw eels that you could look into are: peacock and tire track. Tire tracks get pretty big and require a large tank. I've kept a peacock in a 29 gallon, but I felt it was cramped. If you want the eel look but in a smaller fish,check out kuhli loaches.

Thanks Brizo, I have in the tank now my betta, 5 red platys, a plecostumus a red tip shark and 5 feeder guppies, along with some ghost shrimp. I was looking at the fire eels, but they are shipped in only and i am unsure about that. I really want to get an eel of some sort. I miss my snakes and my hubby wont let me get anymore so this is the only thing i can do (sad I know) and he is worried about them eating the betta he bought me.

Attachments

• 20130221_125234.jpg
    20130221_125234.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 54
I have a 55 gallon tank. I was going to get a tire track, but I want more color in my tank and felt the fire eel gave that color.

Also I want to go with more of an asian theme for my tank. Any suggestions on low light plants and fish I can incorporate. I really want color. And for right now I only have the incandescent bulb you get when you buy the lights. I am planning to get a plant bulb but again hubby is restricting my buying ( I could spend my whole pay check if he let me, he keeps it in line thankfully)

Fire eels are very touchy. I have a fire eel in my 55 long who I've had for about 2 weeks and a half banded spiny eel in my 20 long. Love eels. The guy at the LFS said you won kno for. Couple weeks too a couple months if it'll make it. Best thin is give it optimal living conditions. He's very lively and always swims around where as my other just stays hidden. Look into a black spotted eel. That may be right up your alley

Im looking for something with a bit of color though that is the problem, and around her eall we have are petsmart, petco and petsupermarket. Mom and Pop shops are non existent.

Back
Top Bottom