Freshwater Evolve2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a relatively new tank and was wondering if I could or should put a new filter behind the original filter for a week before changing the filter out.

The original filter is on a blue holster and I guess the bacteria are supposed to be on the blue, but I want to be sure I have enough good bacteria before replacing the filter.

Also, can I take the old filter and place it in the general water of a Marineland System 12 to kick start the cycle?

Tank Maintenance

I have a relatively new tank and was wondering if I could or should put a new filter behind the original filter for a week before changing the filter out.

The original filter is on a blue holster and I guess the bacteria are supposed to be on the blue, but I want to be sure I have enough good bacteria before replacing the filter.

Also, can I take the old filter and place it in the general water of a Marineland System 12 to kick start the cycle?

Hello Monk...

The biological filter is cleaned by just squeezing it in a bucket of the old tank water and putting it back in the filter. It doesn't need to be changed until its near falling apart. Then, you can put in a replacement that's been rinsed in some of the old tank water.

To cycle a new tank, just put the used filter media in the new filter and let things run for a day or two and add a few small fish. You can also add gravel, decorations and plants from an established tank to the new one to help the process.

B

Thanks! What you suggest is what I was going to do. I wanted to put the original filter in the new larger tank. Thus, I needed to put a replacement in the existing 4 wk old cycle complete tank. Just about everything except the gravel will be going in the new tank so I'm worried the existing tank might not have enough good bacteria until the fish can be safely moved.

Also, while on the topic, to keep the existing one in good shape after the fish are moved should I just daily take some active aquarium water, like 4 cups and transfer it to that tank. Would that be enough? Or do I need to daily add pure ammonia?

New Tank Cycling

Thanks! What you suggest is what I was going to do. I wanted to put the original filter in the new larger tank. Thus, I needed to put a replacement in the existing 4 wk old cycle complete tank. Just about everything except the gravel will be going in the new tank so I'm worried the existing tank might not have enough good bacteria until the fish can be safely moved.

Also, while on the topic, to keep the existing one in good shape after the fish are moved should I just daily take some active aquarium water, like 4 cups and transfer it to that tank. Would that be enough? Or do I need to daily add pure ammonia?

Hello again Monk...

The new tank will need only half the bio medium from the old tank to start. But you don't want to put too many fish into the new tank or there won't be enough good bacteria to process all the waste.

The old tank will be fine, because the good bacteria lives on all the surfaces. It won't hurt to remove some of the bio medium. Just replace what's removed with new rinsed in some of the old tank water. The good bacteria will reproduce to its former level in a few hours.

To maintain the bacteria in the old tank without fish, you'll need an ammonia source. What you use is up to you.

B

Thanks for the advice and help! I'm so grateful for the assistance. I'm 35 yrs out of touch with this hobby and so much has changed and I've forgotten so much. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom