Freshwater fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No an auratus would shred them. They need to be kept in big tanks with other highly aggressive Malawi cichlids. I'm not 100% sure that's what the OP has though. I can only see the thumbnail on my phone.

Grrrr.... thanks lol

A pair will not help. The male will take it all out on the female and injure or kill her. OP your best bet is to rehome the fish then restock your tank with fish that are compatible. If the pleco is a common it will outgrow the tank and will need to rehomed also.

its a male Auratus they are aggressive although mine is less dominant than some of my other fish. So I say stock wit some female auratus and other aggressive species of cichlids, like red zebra, kenyi, bumblebees, or some type of afra. Try to stay away from fish that look similar like other male autatus and johannis.

I would rehome the fish, the ID mummaoftwo gave you looks correct to me. They are extremely aggressive and should be stocked in a bigger tank with other extremely aggressive fish. If stocking those with the same kind you need to have 12+. If you keep him he is more than likely going to cause chaos with any other fish. Your best bet is get rid of him or get a much bigger tank.

its a male Auratus they are aggressive although mine is less dominant than some of my other fish. So I say stock wit some female auratus and other aggressive species of cichlids, like red zebra, kenyi, bumblebees, or some type of afra. Try to stay away from fish that look similar like other male autatus and johannis.

Cynotilapia afras more than likely won't work as most of them are mild aggressive. A zebra can be effie and a bumble bee should be in a bigger tank due to their adult size.

I've never seen a male Auratus with a blue stripe.However the body shape is like an Auratus so maybe an Auratus Hybrid.Auratus are vicious fish at the best of times.

Well he was asking for suggestions for adding fish not getting rid of them. I have 2 zebras that are more aggressive than my male auratus. Kenyi are really aggressive so he has options.

I've never seen a male Auratus with a blue stripe.However the body shape is like an Auratus so maybe an Auratus Hybrid.Auratus are vicious fish at the best of times.

Maybe a chipokae than

I would rehome the fish, the ID mummaoftwo gave you looks correct to me. They are extremely aggressive and should be stocked in a bigger tank with other extremely aggressive fish. If stocking those with the same kind you need to have 12+. If you keep him he is more than likely going to cause chaos with any other fish. Your best bet is get rid of him or get a much bigger tank.

Cynotilapia afras more than likely won't work as most of them are mild aggressive. A zebra can be effie and a bumble bee should be in a bigger tank due to their adult size.

I dont know what cynotilapia is and the bumble bee is only 4 in max

Well he was asking for suggestions for adding fish not getting rid of them. I have 2 zebras that are more aggressive than my male auratus. Kenyi are really aggressive so he has options.

No the op wanted to know if he can make it work or if they should rehome him to a lfs. Also the op said he wants to keep community fish. It will be very hard to keep much of anything in a 55 gallon with this dude

I dont know what cynotilapia is and the bumble bee is only 4 in max

A bee will get much bigger if its not stunted.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=845

Last edited:
My bad it is a south american bumble bee catfish. What is the other thing? And hiw did you know my tak size?

Haha from the op, but your not the original poster so your confusing me here. The bumble bee that was mentioned is a cichlid that are rather aggressive. But the problem is that they get big. Your talking about a different type of fish all together than us cichlid keepers

Haha from the op, but your not the original poster so your confusing me here. The bumble bee that was mentioned is a cichlid that are rather aggressive. But the problem is that they get big. Your talking about a different type of fish all together than us cichlid keepers

Lol sorry! I love that black fish the op has so I tagged along from the general freshwater forum to learn more lol Ill go back to my corner now lol

Ok, I am going to contact some of the better local stores and see if any of them will take a fish from me. I am going to keep the Plecco for now so I atleast have something in my tank. Any suggestions for stocking a 55 gallon with 1 Plecco that I am probably getting rid of sooner rather then later? I'd like to have a decent amount of fish with some color. I am so new to this hobby and am now afraid of incompatible fish please Wise Cichlid people, advise me.

Yellow tail acei an some yellow labs classic blue yellow combo maybe. Keeping it simple to start :)

Dnt give up on him bro jus cause people tell u it won't work every tank is different, I can work I have a very unorthodox stock that people on this forum will curse me for but its been 8 months, fish are mature and doing good.

No the op wanted to know if he can make it work or if they should rehome him to a lfs. Also the op said he wants to keep community fish. It will be very hard to keep much of anything in a 55 gallon with this dude

A bee will get much bigger if its not stunted.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=845

Look The guy was asking what fish to ADD or should he rehome and I was trying to help in the adding fish to what he has department. But now that I see its not a auratus and a fish I have no experience with rehome him I guess. Also if a tank full of mubuna is not a community than what is it.

The reason I am leaning towards rehoming is became it hasn't worked. I went from 6 fish to two. And now I can actually see him attacking the pleco. I redid my rocks and hiding places hoping that would help. And he picked the same new home as the pleco. I'd like to have ten to fifteen fish and clearly that won't happen with this guy running around like me at an all you can eat buffet.

Back
Top Bottom