Freshwater GPH rate - Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intensity68

Aquarium Advice Regular
I read somewhere and cant remember what a recommended turnover rate would be for a planted tank. Is it like 3x's the volume of the tank? (ex. 10gal would equal to 30gph turnover)
Im going to use a canister filter and am thinking i may need to add an emporer 400 too(but i really dont want to).

Usually 5-6x per hour turnover is the goal on a heavily planted tank. Lots of opinions on this though, and you have to consider HOB filters like an emperor, vs. canister filters, which are much more efficient, and thus fewer GPH is required, assuming the tank isn't over stocked.

For example, I had a 75gallon tank, with a Rena Filstar XP2, which is a 300 gph filter. My water is quite clear, and I've never registered any ammonia or nitrite in the tank. However, on a 20gallon planted tank, I run an AC 150, which is 150gph.

Thanks for the reply. I was going to go with an eheim 2217. it has about 210 gph, which isn't even 2xper hour! So i guess i could add an emporer 400, or keep my tank lightly stocked, or buy an even bigger canister than the 2217. If im spending all this money, i want to do it right, not just say "i have a large tank".

By the way, Nice tank! I'm gonna go research "nerite snails". Ive been thinking about adding snails that wont destroy plants.

EDIT: I am thinking that the emporer 400 might be the way to go (with the eheim 2217) since it cycles 400 gph. The only other option i can think of would be to use 2 canisters. To be honest, i doubt that i will end up with a lightly stocked tank :lol:

the issue with an emporer is this: isn't it a bio wheel? if so, that bio wheel will outgas most of your CO2, leaving you with weak plants, and algae. I'd recommend the bigger canister. And honestly, the Filstars are good filters. I have a friend who's more into planted tanks than myself, and has several Eheims. I turned him on to the Filstar series, and he's purchased 2 so far and agrees they are a real nice filter.

As for nerites, I bought mine at www.azgardens.com

After reading this post I am wondering if I should get more for my tank.

I have a 90gal tall I am in the process of setting up and I have 1 XP3. What should I add to get my gph up?

xp3 gph =350 /90 gal =3.88 times per hour turnover rate. Not too bad really.
Maybe i should go with a 90, that would be cheaper for lights too. Im looking at 2 260 watts pc. for the 120.

Anyway, Malkore i have heard people say that about biowheels, but i wonder if that theory has been validated. I am assuming that the concern with this is:
1. CO2 dispersed into water
2. pump (impeller) pulls H2o (with the CO2) into filter
3. H2O in filter hits biowheel
4. biowheel oxygenates water due to its rotation between air and water
5. Additional oxygen dilutes composition of the water (meaning way more O2 than CO2)
6. Hence the term "outgas"

Do i have this right? I've never read an explanation of this, so i want to make sure i am understanding its argument.

I know this is a marathon length response. So I'll wait for a reply. Thanks for the feedback.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom