Freshwater moray eel.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover9000

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a freshwater moray eel (Gymnothorax tile) in a 40-50 gallon tank.
but i did research and found that they live best in brackish but can survive in freshwater but are more fragile to the water conditions.

any advice?

make it brackish... dont mess around when it comes to the animals care.. find out its natural habitat and do your very best to match it... it seems like you impulsivly bought this animal and really should consider returning it. you need to cycle your tank under brackish conditions. and definitly need to do some salt mixings...

anyways best of luck

-Brad

make it brackish... dont mess around when it comes to the animals care.. find out its natural habitat and do your very best to match it... it seems like you impulsivly bought this animal and really should consider returning it. you need to cycle your tank under brackish conditions. and definitly need to do some salt mixings...

anyways best of luck

-Brad

Sorry... i was told when i bought it it would live in 100% freshwater.
anyway i must log off now i will be back on tomorrow so we can continue our discussion.

How to set up a brak. tank?

im definitly not the guy to ask about it. but from my little research its basicly the same as FW. just with a SG of 1.010 or higher... im sure someone else will chime in about this.

-Brad

It is unfortunate that these eels are still labeled as "freshwater" when they are quite the opposite. It is assumed that adults venture to freshwater inlets in order to reproduce and as the young age, slowly merge to brackish and eventually full marine habitats. Brackish salinity should be kept at 1.010 and eventually kept at full marine. The lower the salinity the more sensitive they become.

how much will it cost approximately to go from Fresh>Brackish>Marine

P.S its 45 gallons.

well for full marine i have a 29 gallon aquarium with PC lighting and i was in over 1200 cnd rock in. not sure of brackish but id think your in for quite a few costs similar to SW

-Brad

We did this as well. Made the mistake of listening to the LFS staff's advice. Well they were completely wrong. We went to another store, received better advice and decided either to spend some money and keep this awesome creature or return it.

Well the crazy fish lovers that we are, we decided to keep it. This moray eel is about 14" long and is now in a brackish, 50 gal tank all alone but seems much happier.

We set the water temp to about 75 degrees, the salinity is set to 1.010ish. We have added a cave to his new home for him to hide in and so far so good after 24 hours. And the substrate is pool filter sand. The same stuff we use in our 90 gal cichild tank and in our 70 gal odd ball/community tank.

I'll post again in a week or so and give some updates.

My BF wants to get some Archers because they spun pretty cool how they spit water to make little critters fall in the water to eat. Sounds like fun but a lot more work!

Well on other forums it is against rules to post on a thread dead for more than 2 years.

Ok, I'll just start new threads all the time. I thought the point was to continue conversations instead of letting them all die which seems to happen too often on this forum.

But moving on, any fish advice!

Guys, its not really a big deal. It would be better to make a new thread, since more people will comment on it (most likely), but it really doesn't matter.

Edit: How did you find this anyway?

Guys, its not really a big deal. It would be better to make a new thread, since more people will comment on it (most likely), but it really doesn't matter.

Edit: How did you find this anyway?

I just searched moray eel and this came up. And it was very related to what I wanted to talk about. To be honest I didn't even see when it was originally posted.

I just searched moray eel and this came up. And it was very related to what I wanted to talk about. To be honest I didn't even see when it was originally posted.

Dont even worry about it. It doesn't hurt to bring a thread back from the grave. We all have questions and cant find them hardly ever. No problem posting here since im sure the OP is long gone. But when posting, remember who's thread it is. Sometimes people dont like their threads hijacked

Back
Top Bottom