Freshwater Moray Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitalbliss

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, I've been trying to do my research in preparation for getting one of these great guys. I can't seem to find a lot about them though. I do realize that although they're named 'Freshwater', they are actually brackish. 3 or 4 shops around me have them, and I want to be sure I can take care of one((middle-sized)).
I've got set-up taken care of, with places to hide so he's comfortable. What I need mostly is what they'll eat, etc etc.

Hi, I seen one of these about two weeks ago and was tempted myself. IT was labeled whitecheeked freshwater moray. Here's what little I know about them. They are brackish and can be converted to full saltwater. Yes, they do need hiding areas. Lace rock works well. Don't expect to see the eel much except for feeding time. As for food, I would try raw shrimp pieces from a feeding stick or tongs. If that doesn't work, you can also offer it ghost shrimp, rosy reds or guppies. I've had no trouble converting mine over to thawed raw shrimp. My banded eel will even take soaked dried krill. I was told feeding live food will make them aggressive. I don't know if that's true or not. My eels are pretty peaceful as long as there isn't anything in the tank small enough for them to eat. HTH

[center:1fd89b9e6e] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, digitalbliss! :n00b: [/center:1fd89b9e6e]

Fluff, can you show us a pic?

Pretty much what Fluff said, plus I will add that most of the 'FW moray' species available in aquarium/pet shops will reach or exceed 36" in length, so be prepared.

Thanks for the help. I've read, but never got an actual amount of how large they'll get. The one's I've seen around here range from about 1' long to 2...ish feet.
I'm making my decision today and will probably pick it up. Hopefully pictures sometime to follow.

digitalbliss said:
Ok, I've been trying to do my research in preparation for getting one of these great guys. I can't seem to find a lot about them though. I do realize that although they're named 'Freshwater', they are actually brackish. 3 or 4 shops around me have them, and I want to be sure I can take care of one((middle-sized)).
I've got set-up taken care of, with places to hide so he's comfortable. What I need mostly is what they'll eat, etc etc.

They actually need high end BW to SW. make sure to use marine salt.

Are you using a crushed coral substrate?

Back
Top Bottom