Freshwater refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
Despite having no need whatsoever for a refugium, I really like the idea of having a little refugium for my 30 gallon tank or most likely one for a larger tank that I'm getting in the next couple months. Lets say I'm getting a 55gallon long or something. How does one do a refugium for a freshwater tank? Any suggestions on what to put in it? Would it work to have like a 55gallon tank with no filter in it and then a 5 gallon refugium next to it which contains the filter for the 55 gallon? If thats not possible, what else could I put in the refugium that would be beneficial to the bigger tank? {I dont know much about refugiums other than what I've read}

You'd probably need some kind of overflow and a return pump. I'm sorry I can't provide any particulars.

I'd imagine that this kind of setup would be ideal for large messy cichlids or goldfish that require extra filtration and dig up plants. With a nice planted refugium, you would be able to enjoy your plants, the cichlids would benefit from the extra biological filtration, and the plants would benefit from the large amount of nitrogenous waste in the water column. The refugium could also be stocked with small fish and inverts that the cichlids would otherwise kill and eat.

That sounds very cool. I'd like to get into breeding goldfish in the next several months and a refugium with a big goldfish tank would be awesome.

So, I dont know what a sump is but I dont think I want one. I want to do a very simple refugium, but I dont know anything about the plumbing or physics of it. I know the refugium should be at a slightly higher level than the main tank. I dont know how to make the overflow thing. Basically I need to know how to make the water go from the main tank into the refugium and then back into the main tank, but I dont know anything about plumbing. :p

Also, what would one put in a freshwater refugium? I'm thinking plants and snails, but something more exotic would be nice, like those marimo balls or something.

If the tanks are close to each other you could try canister output in the refugium and the inlet pipe in the main tank and have a U-tube filled with water turned upside down joining the tanks. The U-tube if large enough not to restrict flow, it will act like a syphon and keep levels balanced.

A refugium IS a sump with things growing in it .... having proper plumbling connecting the 2 is a must. <A sump doesn't have to be complicated .... a container of water is all it is.>

This is a link to a good series discussing sumps (read part 2 & 3 as well, link at bottom): Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part I by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com

It is possible to simplify the plumbling as mattrox suggests .... but that setup offers no protection against flooding in case of siphon failure.

If you have the fuge above the tank, that setup is identical to the tank/sump setup in that article, just name the sump "tank", and the tank "fuge"! However, if you get an acrylic fuge, you can drill/cut it so you have an internal (or external) overflow without a siphon. <Or spend $$$ to get a reef ready tank that is the same.> If you place this above the tank, you can get a pump to move water from the tank up to the fuge & the water will return by gravity via your overflow. This is the same design as a wet/dry-waterfall in a pond, or a 2 pond filtering system. <Look at some of the indoor pond designs on the web & you can get some inspiration for your tank system .... or just get a 2 level indoor pond and you would have exactely what you are looking for! :) >

Back
Top Bottom