Freshwater Symbiotic Relationships

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PassengerTN

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know of any freshwater species that have symbiotic relationships? Kind of like in saltwater with the clown fish and*anemone*or the goby and pistol shrimp. Figured this could be an interesting and knowledgeable topic.

For reference, I'm looking for things that could possible occur in aquaria, not so much about parasite hosting and things in a large biome

Does anyone know of any freshwater species that have symbiotic relationships? Kind of like in saltwater with the clown fish and*anemone*or the goby and pistol shrimp. Figured this could be an interesting and knowledgeable topic.

The relationship between the anemone and clownfish is commensalism I believe not symbiosis as the anemone gains nothing from it.
But there probably are some in nature but none to my knowledge between common aquaria fish.

The relationship between the anemone and clownfish is commensalism I believe not symbiosis as the anemone gains nothing from it.
But there probably are some in nature but none to my knowledge between common aquaria fish.

Touché. Wishful thinking I suppose lol

Clown fish will chase away some polyp eating species and also their poop is nutrition for the anemone

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some clowns will actually bring food to the nem and go out of their way to feed it.

As to the actual question, I am not aware of anything like this that will happen in freshwater aquaria.

Commensalism is a type of symbiosis. Just like mutualism and parasitism.

Sent via Impala

I'm only aware of the bitterling using freshwater bivalves to spawn.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom