Freshwater to brackish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela821

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 40 gallon freshwater tank with a dragon goby as the only occupant. I want to convert to brackish water but am unsure how much salt to add and how often so I don’t shock my goby. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If your tank is cycled, the BB can take a big hit if changing over to brackish quickly. That said I am not sure how long it would take to change over the tank gradually to become cycled or partially cycled.

If your tank is not cycled yet and you have recently started the tank, then you can change it over more quickly. A lagoon will have differing mixtures of saltier water and fresher water mixing in from a FW source and from the tide going out and in. Gradually would be over a few days maybe if not trying to save BB.

Marine sand, and Reef Crystals or other basic saltwater fish type salt is good, you do not need specialized reef growing salt. You can add in other lagoon / estuary plants. Those are beautiful fish.

I picked up some Instant Ocean Sea Salt. The tank is already cycled. I was able to find something that said add 1/8 cup salt to the tank every day until desired salinity level is reached.
(I’m sorry, I’m embarrassed to admit but I don’t know what you mean by BB)

The bb is the bacteria that maintains the cycle and keeps the tank at non toxic levels. Freshwater employs a different bacteria than brackish and marine. I've never switched myself but I have cold started a brackish setup using seachem stable and daily prime doses. I'd read up on the process. Chemicals are not a solution but they did help in my case

I found an article that suggested 1/8th cup salt to every gallon. I was thinking I could start off with 2 gallons of salt water mixed at that ratio and add it my next water change. Then check the levels and go from there ..?.. I am concerned now with the bb. I clearly have more to learn about brackish water and the bacterias.
Thank you for the link and your help! Much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom