Freshwater water cow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOXGM

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone I'm new here. Just like to post a few pics of my guys. This is just a few of the many fish in the tank. Theres a black ghost knife in there too along with an African featherfin catfish, gold nugget pleco, 4 red tailed tin foil barbs(bigger then my hand)and a few others, Thanks for looking :)

Attachments

• image-580464897.jpg
    image-580464897.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 340
  • image-3977222376.jpg
    image-3977222376.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 280
  • image-4086319501.jpg
    image-4086319501.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 768
  • image-974523764.jpg
    image-974523764.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 254
  • image-2768403390.jpg
    image-2768403390.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 245
  • image-1555586763.jpg
    image-1555586763.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 245
125. The bars are being transferred to a 3500 gallon heated pond soon.

Cool, I was just curious. A friend of mine had those tinfoils, they are never cool fish.

The water cow will average 16-18 inches in captivity. May get bigger honestly there is very little info on cows. You know he changes colors? True fact. Iv seen Him turn black brown yellow and he can look spotted. Normally he has a yellow strip down his back but he can change the strip as well. He's a cool fish. Mine is not aggressive towards tank mates. He could swallow every fish in the tank but he doesn't. I have trained him on frozen silversides. Now the bichir will average anywhere from 14-18ish depending on male or female and as well as the species. Males are usually smaller. Mine is a male. The bichirs are aggressive as well. He has killed a few of my angels in the past. But he hasn't bothered anyone in a very long time as I keep him well feed. Check out this video of me feeding him.

Last edited:
The video didn t work :(.
Just saw a water cow for the first time ever at a new LFS last week. Pretty cool fish!

North to South America: Pacific slope of California, USA to Peru and at the Galapagos Islands.

He's an eleotris picta aka spotted sleeper commonly known as the freshwater water cow. He's actually a goby. His max size is 26 inches.

Hey i was thinking about getting a 75gal with a black gosht knife and a tire track eel

Is there any room in there for the water cow?

-thanks

Hey i was thinking about getting a 75gal with a black gosht knife and a tire track eel

Is there any room in there for the water cow?

-thanks

If the bgk is to small the cow will make a snack out of him. I hear most cows are crazy aggressive. They are night time predators. I got lucky and mine will only eat frozen. Iv had him eat live feeders and he will just spit them out alive. He's a cool fish but he will reach about 20 inchs in captivity. I'd say go for it but if the ghost knife reaches a good size then u would have to upgrade. My cow is friendly with my bgk and he loves my bichir. I got lucky. Iv heard of them attacking everything as soon as they are dropped in the tank. Dunno if its true but man their mouths are crazy big

Back
Top Bottom