Fried ballast (Lighting stuff)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SunnyFrog

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yesterday I finished setting up my Nano Cube 12 gallon (no fish yet, just two snails). I went to plug in the light and it started popping and smoking!!! With searching, they said it was my ballast, sure enough it smells fried!! My bulb sounds dead too (has a rattle).

This is the real ballast that I need:
http://www.jbjnanocube.com/contents/en-us/...be_ballast.html
Can we say Woooh Price!!! So with searching, I have found:
CFL Ballast 18 Watt

I believe this should be compatable... what do you think?

Advise appreciated!!

On paper, the specs are compatible. But before you replace the ballast, check to make sure nothing else is wrong. Electronic ballasts like those are usu. totally sealed and pretty robust. There maybe something else wrong in the fixture that caused the burn out - such as a corroded endcap causing a short, some wiring problem, etc. No point frying a new ballast ...

The one here actually has quiet a few "vents" on either side of the ballast unit. I'm wondering if water may have gotten in there while I was rinsing the tank out and it wasn't all the way dry. I didn't think of corroded wires and such.. I will double check everything! Thank you very much for your help!!

Back
Top Bottom