Friend started a 75gal. up a week added corals etc.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
My friend started a 75gal Reef tank it has been up for a month. He has no protein skimmer. He has PC, Wet/Dry, DSB, LR, He has 3 clams, frogspawn, fox coral, mushrooms etc. I have told him to give the tank time b4 he started to stock as I did with my tank. He lost 10 fish already due to ick and already added a lionfish and maroon clownfish. Do you think that it is possible since he is feisty and can't wait that everything will survive??

He also has 50lb live rock I told him he needs more, He used that CYCle to cycle the tank. He does everything too fast he wants it to flourish over night.

I would be shocked if he did not experience more losses in the near future before letting the tank mature. Not a good approach imo.

it has been doing good 4 a month I am suprised the corals ESP the clams are surviving

its my understanding that clams die rather slowly if they don't have the right lighting and a mature tank (assuming the acclimation was proper...a bad acclimation will outright kill anything)

Heres the best advice anyone could ever possibly give you - walk up to your friend, slap them round the face and yell at 'em "slow down, moron, your adding things too fast" - it might work !?

: :mrgreen:

He now just added after his tank had a bought with ICK a small eel, and a small yellow tang the lionfish already ate the maroon clown. Do you think the clams will survive? He really can't do anything now to save what he has correct?

sharkbate said:
I think this is going to be a very expensive and frustrating hobby for your frind. :(

Couldn't have put it better myself.

He needs to join AA so we can turn him around gently. May be a good idea to suggest he sign up here. (maybe after this post dies) :?

In memory of corals, fish,

An Update on my friends tank..... 1 Dead Lionfish, Clam, Open Brain, Trumpet coral, Asst Mushrooms, Tomato Clown. He told me the tank turned a murky white and brain emitted white mucus when it dies. He did a 100% water change over 2 days. Lion got ick. Tomato has ick, He added Garlic-x to food to build immune system, He added calcium w/o measuring levels, His eel is digging so deep to bottom of tank it's a mess, I think there is no more help for him he should quit the hobby. He asked me to help and I told him you need to give tank time not just through everything in within 2 weeks, he just added 20 frags. mushrooms all shriveled, bubble coral at half the size when it was healthy, frogspawn turning colors. His nitrates skyrocketd. He now wants to get a protein skimmer with a UV sterilizer. I have seen one that it was built into the skimmer. Honestly what do people think about UV sterilizers? He talked to some guy that said he has OS water, protein skimmer w/UV sterilizer built in uses GarlicX, doses his tank, and never had a parasite, ick problem. I told him well you are dosing b/c the UV is killing all good nutrients etc. Am I right? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom