Friendliest Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike W

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I find that the classifications of Community, Semi Agressive and Agressive dont really go deep enough into classifying fish.

some community fish are more agressive than others.

for instance I had a black molly in a tank with guppies and it was going after them 24/7 in an extremely agressive manor.

i had a few black skirt tetras that were chasing my glo light tetras to the point that the glo lights were jumping out of the water.

my question is what are the friendliest of the community fish?
fish that will never show aggression towards another species ( I realize same species aggression is completely normal). and never fin nip whatsoever.

i have these on my list so far

Platies
Neon Tetras
Glo Light Tetras
Rasboras
Corydoras

I want the most peaceful tank possible, and want to know which fish I can choose from, can anyone add to this list?

My Otos are my friendly fish along with the pygmy corys.

im suspect of any algae eater. i heard if they are hungry enough they will resort to eating the slime coat of off the other fish. i know plecos do this. not sure about the otos though

GTFCTIM said:
My Otos are my friendly fish along with the pygmy corys.

^^^ I second that. These guys are super passive and keep to their own. I've never observed them eating slime coats or anything of the sort.

My Von Rio Tetras are really passive as well.

I would have said the same about the Danios but the got a little nippy when they were stressed out because of a bully Krib I had to remove. After which, everything was balanced and tranquil again.

I have some Long Fin Red Minor Tetra that have a reputation of being nippy.. Luckily I haven't had any issues in that regard with mine.

Lastly, my Black Kuhli Loach doesn't bother anyone and comes out at night to do his janitorial duties on my substrate. Fun to watch with the low light LED moonlights.

Have Panda and Pepper Corys....most chilled out fish I have, just love it when they eat in synch lol!

i also heard Pristella Tetra are extremely peaceful. can anyone confirm or deny this?

Whiptail catfish are probably the most mellow fish you can find. Nothing bothers them, and they don't even argue among their own species much.

I would have to say my kuhlis and corys are the most peaceful. They never chase anybody, fight, or bicker. If there is food, they all just pile right in.
My rummies to peaceful to all the other fish, but sometimes they chase each other. I still consider them very peaceful though.
My ember tetras and banjo catfish also are very peaceful. They never fight or bother anybody in anyway. The embers do not even chase each other, not even when I had an incomplete school.

Cory cats and Hoplo/Megalechis/Dianema catfish are all very peaceful and friendly.

Otos are great little fish and are completely safe, they will not harm fish in any way. I have 10 of them and the are always busy eating or resting after a long munch.

Back
Top Bottom