Frogs & Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barefootKATE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was thinking of putting little frogs in an aquarium. I think they are called African Dwarf Frogs. Does anyone have any experience with them? What should I do? How much space do they need? Do they get along with fish...if so what fish? I was also thinking about putting a snail in with it/them. Inform me!
:D

If you search the threads, you will find several which go in depth on this, but yes, you can put African dwarf frogs (AKA Hymenochirus ssp.) in your aquarium...they are compatible with just about any peaceful, smaller fish (that cannot eat them) such as livebearers, tetras, etc. A 10 gallon tank is large enough for a couple of ADFs.[/i]

I would keep them in a minimum of 5 gallons, a 10 gallon or 20 gallon long tank would be much better though. They like space and to swim up and down a lot IME. They should be fine with snails big enough to not fit in their mouth. They will try eating anything that moves, including other frogs (they aren't successful with that though).

make sure they can get to food as well. Faster moving fish that will gobble up bloodworms aren't the best in terms of compatibility. I think slower fish like bettas, gouramis, cories, etc... are the best tank mates.

I have 2 ADF's and I love them! They are so cute and so hilarious. Such personality. I feed them bloodworms with a turkey baster so they get the food, the fish are such pigs that the frogs wouldn't get any food any other way. Just don't add aquarium salt, they don't like salt. I have them with angels, serpae tetras, mollies, clown loaches, and guppies and no problems whatsoever.

I have 3 in my tank and they will eat anything. I have them in with 2 tbs of salt in my 10 gal.... they survived a ich treatment too! Already had them breed but i didn't want to keep any thing more in my tank so i left the eggs and little tadpoles alone. :? They come to the suface for my freeze dried blood worms and they eat frozen brine shrimp. So in my opinion they are great starter fish and very hardy which is great since this is my first tank!

I love my african dwarf frog but I did have to move him from my 55 gallon to my 10 gallon as he was not getting any food in the 55. They are not very competitive food eaters so they should be kept with fish that aren't pigs, LOL. My frog had no problem with mystery snails. The only thing my frog ever attacked was a black kuhli loach and I think it was because the frog is sometimes fed little earthworms and the loach sorta looks wormy!

I would not put ADF's in any tall tanks. They need to swim to the surface to get air and if your tank is too tall, it could stress them out getting to the surface.

ADF's don't see very well so you need to make sure you get the food as close to them as possible, since they rely upon their sense of smell. The males are smaller and thiner with, what looks like a pimple under there front legs. These are there reproductive glands. The female is bigger and usually very plump.

Make sure your gravel is not sharp and jagged. After getting air at the surface, they will shoot right back down very quickly and may hurt themselves on the gravel.

Other then that, you can pretty much put them with any "community fish" that are non-aggressive. They keep to themselves and are very peaceful. Be sure to keep up with your weekly water changes too.

Hope that helps!

FawnN said:
I would not put ADF's in any tall tanks. They need to swim to the surface to get air and if your tank is too tall, it could stress them out getting to the surface.
That is why I said a 20 gallon long. :wink:

A 10 gallon would be perfect for your ADF's. Depending on what other fish you put in our tank, I would put at least 2 ADF's in at a time so they feel more secure. 3 would be perfect.

IMO, ADF's are not high waste producers. On another note, be sure to have a secure lid, cuz they will escape.

Here is a picture of my male and female pair. You can see the pimple that I mentioned before on the male under his front legs.

img_437736_0_4d428e6570e6fb6ee9299af99a3f2fda.jpg

Back
Top Bottom