From livebearers to egg layers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeathclawRowe1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone bred gold tetras? They are egg layers and I have only bred live bearers, swordtails, coral platys, and peppermint/koi platys. So are egg layers harder to breed or easier? Has anyone had success? Any tips? How to sex?

Attachments

• image-2211548635.jpg
    image-2211548635.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 83
It has been a very long time, but here is what I remember. They are egg scatteres and will eat the eggs with gusto. Tht said a community tank is out. I used a strip tank, water, small sponge, heater and marbles. I also suggest you make a few breeding mops and use a little styro to make them floating. Don't add the mops until you are sure the fish are ready. You have to condition them up with live or froozen food. The females will visably swell with eggs. Then place the group in the breeding tank and do a few p.m. water changes of 20% each night ot morning. The males will drive the females over the bottom scattering eggs and fertalizing as they go. Eggs drop between the marbles. As soon as you notice they have spwaned get the adults out. They will be relentlessly trying to pick the eggs from between the marbles.

Egg layer present an entirerly different challenge then livebearers. The spwans are very large so the pay off is much greater. I would recommend trying rosy or cherry barbs first. If conditioned they spawn like crazy. Small cichlids and bettas are also good trainer fish so you get the idea with fish that are really easy. Tetras are not in that easy group.

Back
Top Bottom