From worse to worst

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malawi Freak

Aquarium Advice Addict
So as I'm cutting my grass tonight I get interrupted by my wife because my son and neighbors kids decided to dump every bag of fish food and handfuls of cat food into my 125. I've already lost 4 fish (2 chailosi, 1 maingano, and 1 yellow lab) my favorite elongatus is laying on his side right now and doesn't look like he is gonna make it.

I immediately did 2 80% water changes to suck out as much food as I can. But wait, it gets worse. While I was filling the tank the second time I had to run out (because lovely said wife forgot my phone at the lake we were fishing at today) and told my wife to watch it and shut the water off when it was full and when I returned there was about 40 gallons of water on my floor.

I'm praying the fish make it through this, but I'm expecting to see several fish with bloat in the morning.

I'm sorry

If there was anything I could do to help I would, sounds like the boys should be helping you clean this mess, and help with the muck. To show them that the fish are living things, and how would you like it if you couldn't breath? Are they young? I had my cousin do this and I made him scrub the tank, clean the gravel, and help clean the mess. He still to this day remembers it and remembers the lesson.
How is your filter holding up? Perhaps you might want to add a little carbon to it? Wash it in some tank water? I am sure it is mucked up.

Oh wow man!! So sorry!! Ya I fear that with my son one day. I'm sorry you lost some fish bro. I hope things turn around and get better man.

I'll be praying for ya!

Again sorry to hear about this.

I put new filter floss in my canister and 2 hobs since they were pretty nasty but I left the sump how it is so I don't get a mini cycle.

Unfortunately they are too young, my son is about to turn 4 and the other is maybe 3. My son did get the talk though. Lesson learned - keep all food out of reach.

Convict2161 said:
Oh wow man!! So sorry!! Ya I fear that with my son one day. I'm sorry you lost some fish bro. I hope things turn around and get better man.

I'll be praying for ya!

Again sorry to hear about this.

Thanks man, hopefully they all pull through this. I've never seen cichlids eat to their max like this.

That's awful! I've made sure to teach my niece that the fish only eat a little and that she can only feed them when I'm home :) she asks me every time I'm over! Gotta love 3 year olds lol

Malawi Freak said:
Thanks man, hopefully they all pull through this. I've never seen cichlids eat to their max like this.

Yes I'm pulling for ya. If I could help I would Trust me!

Wow I feel terrible. This is one of my biggest fears and also why all my tanks are so high and away from furniture : /... The 40 gallons on top of it is even worse but did you add in extra prime to compensate for the extra chlorine?

So as I'm cutting my grass tonight I get interrupted by my wife because my son and neighbors kids decided to dump every bag of fish food and handfuls of cat food into my 125. I've already lost 4 fish (2 chailosi, 1 maingano, and 1 yellow lab) my favorite elongatus is laying on his side right now and doesn't look like he is gonna make it.

I immediately did 2 80% water changes to suck out as much food as I can. But wait, it gets worse. While I was filling the tank the second time I had to run out (because lovely said wife forgot my phone at the lake we were fishing at today) and told my wife to watch it and shut the water off when it was full and when I returned there was about 40 gallons of water on my floor.

I'm praying the fish make it through this, but I'm expecting to see several fish with bloat in the morning.

Oh Wow ... I hope everything works out ... Sorry to hear about this... that's three strikes against the wife.

1st .. Not catching the boys before, while you were mowing (unless she couldn't for some reason).
2nd .. Leaving your phone at the lake.
3rd .. Forgetting about the water.

:( ohh nooo! I am so sorry! What a mess and absolutely frustrating and disheartening! My thoughts are with you. I hope the fish pull through!

Ah man, this sucks. I'm thinking of you and hoping for the best. Keep us posted.

The elongatus didn't make it but the rest are looking fine. Oh man I can't believe the absolutely huge strands of poop. Those pigs aren't eating again until Wednesday!

Thanks everyone. Water is a little cloudy this morning so it's about that time for another 80% water change.

2 female Kenyi found dead in the rocks during this water change. I think it's safe to say I'm no longer over 100 fish in the tank.

Malawi Freak said:
The elongatus didn't make it but the rest are looking fine. Oh man I can't believe the absolutely huge strands of poop. Those pigs aren't eating again until Wednesday!

Thanks everyone. Water is a little cloudy this morning so it's about that time for another 80% water change.

I hope all is starting to get better. I know you said they won't be eating till wendsday but it may be a good idea to give some peas. :)

Oh my goodness. This is scary, I have a two year old who loooves to feed the fish. So sorry to hear. I don't wanna throw your wife under the bus, but everyone knows you need to keep eyes on toddlers 24/7. Especially when theres two of them! Good luck with all the water changes :/

Andrew McFadden said:
I hope all is starting to get better. I know you said they won't be eating till wendsday but it may be a good idea to give some peas. :)

I actually thought about doing that tomorrow night.

I don't know why but I find this funny. All my featherfins are so bloated I'm waiting for one of them to pop as they are going through the rocks. Being typical synodontis they are still searching for food.

Only good thing I got from this was a repositioned all my rocks, making some larger caves while make some smaller that only my chialosi and labs can fit in. My cobalt zebra has been tryin so hard to get in there, he actually wiggled in on his side and got stuck.

I think you have to find the humor in it to keep from going crazy!

How are the rest of your fish looking?

Ugh, sorry that happened.

We had someone watching our dogs one time. I came home to find Skittles in my BW tank. Lost everyone but one dragon goby. I feel your pain.

Back
Top Bottom