'Frosted Green Tip Bubble Anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys!
I was given a smallish frosted green tip bubble anemone, and it seems fairly happy. I have read that they usually like high light and high flow. However, mine seems to have attached itself the the underside of my rock shelf. My pictures don't do it justice, it is greener and the base is pinker (salmon color) in real life. I have been feeding it a little bit of mysis shrimp because my LFS is out of silversides right now.
My questions are: does it appear healthy? Is it okay for it to stay there in the semi-darkness? Should its tentacles/arms be more elongated?

The nano it is in is a 28-gallon that has been cycled for a couple months now. Water parameters are good with the exception of needing to raise the calcium slightly (which I have been doing in small amounts every other day). The other tank inhabitants are a gorgeous green mandarin goby, a pair of clownfish that aren't even remotely interested in hosting it, and a small Catalina goby. I do have a few astreal (sp) snails and reef safe hermit crabs as cleanup, and intend to get a few more as I am starting to have a little bit of algae.

Advice is definitely welcome as I want to make sure it is happy! Thanks!

Attachments

• image-2359387860.jpg
    image-2359387860.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 110
  • image-3805233616.jpg
    image-3805233616.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 112
Hi Guys!
I was given a smallish frosted green tip bubble anemone, and it seems fairly happy. I have read that they usually like high light and high flow. However, mine seems to have attached itself the the underside of my rock shelf. My pictures don't do it justice, it is greener and the base is pinker (salmon color) in real life. I have been feeding it a little bit of mysis shrimp because my LFS is out of silversides right now.
My questions are: does it appear healthy? Is it okay for it to stay there in the semi-darkness? Should its tentacles/arms be more elongated?

The nano it is in is a 28-gallon that has been cycled for a couple months now. Water parameters are good with the exception of needing to raise the calcium slightly (which I have been doing in small amounts every other day). The other tank inhabitants are a gorgeous green mandarin goby, a pair of clownfish that aren't even remotely interested in hosting it, and a small Catalina goby. I do have a few astreal (sp) snails and reef safe hermit crabs as cleanup, and intend to get a few more as I am starting to have a little bit of algae.

Advice is definitely welcome as I want to make sure it is happy! Thanks!

Hello,
First off some questions. What type of lighting does the tank have? What salt mix are you using? With a quality mix you shouldn't be dealing with low calcium unless you have a lot of sps corals. How long have you had the anemone?
It looks inflated so it should be fine. They will tend to move around the tank until they find a happy place. Moving under cover may be a shock to the light so watch out for bleaching on it. Tank does seem a little young for a nem as well but bubble tips are fairly hardy. I know this is about the anemone but I have to ask about the mandarin. Is it eating prepared foods? A 28 gallon tank will quickly be depleted of pods for this fish. Definitely not an easy fish to keep. Also, Catalina gobies are cooler water fish, I would consider rehoming it.

I have basically been using the salt water mix that my LFS uses for their store, and it seems to be working fine except for the slightly low calcium. But I just did a calcium test and it's right at 450, so just about at the money, from my understanding. The lighting is the stock lighting which came with the nano (LFS said it would be fine for most corals but needs to be replaced roughly every six months). As far as the mandarin, it is eating mysis shrimp and I have also purchased live pods to stock my refugium and also poured into the base of the rocks in my nano to add to the existing pods I had seen already in there. The bottle estimates around 700-1000 live pods per bottle. :)

As far as the Catalina goby, that's a bit saddening, the website I bought it from suggested temperatures between 72-80, and my tank sits at 78. But I definitely do understand, I may do a little more researching into another home or possibly putting him into my other tank that is just a reef safe pod and hermit crab tank for now. :)

Oh and I have had the anemone for about three weeks now. He was originally placed on a medium height rock in medium flow in the open but has since moved to his new spot about two and a half weeks ago.

That's awesome about the mandarin, glad he is eating mysis for you! Yeah Catalina gobies are native to Californian waters and really need temps in the 60s. But yeah the anemone will let you know where it wants to be, it should come out from the crevice eventually.

Thank you! I've had reefs before but always too worried to have a mandarin! I am very happy with him and in love with his colors and personality. Looking more into the Catalina Goby, I definitely think you're right. I might see if my LFS will take him in for some store credit as I don't want him to be in warmer waters! Thanks for the pointer!

No problem! And yeah I would love one for my tank too but will definitely be waiting until I upgrade and can get a refugium on my tank.

Back
Top Bottom