Frustrated.. thinking I'm not cut out for fishkeeping. Need advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cubsfan85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there a black-thumb equivalent for keeping fish? That's what I feel like.

I set up my tank in February and have lost a number of fish in that time. I can write off a few, dying immediately after they came home as being sick from the store. But, my main problem is fish that live 3-4 months or longer, and randomly die with no signs of disease or stress. :confused:

My parameters are always good. I do a 30% water change and vacuum the gravel weekly. Tank is never overstocked (couldn't keep that many alive to overstock it anyway :banghead:)

For the past month or two I've been down to one Dalmation Molly. Decided not to go get any more fish for a while, and just let him be by himself. I was going to wait and find a LFS to buy from instead of going to Petsmart like I usually do, hoping maybe the fish would be healthier and I'd have better luck. But, at this point, I don't think I can assume it's just that I'm getting unhealthy fish from Petsmart... plenty of other people keep their fish alive for a reasonable lifespan.

What spurred this post is that last night the Dalmation Molly died. BF told me he saw him swimming kind of wobbly Tuesday night, so I was looking him over and couldn't see anything wrong. It looked like *maybe* his little bottom fin could be clamped a bit. So, I threw in some Tetra Lifeguard tabs I had to see if that helped. Last night, dead. :(

Now for the important question. Now, I have an empty tank. BF thinks I should clean out the whole tank and start fresh. I hate to start from scratch, but is it a good idea? Could something bad have been lurking in my tank all this time? I am thinking of all that good bacteria I have on my decor and little ceramic rings and cringe to think of letting them just go to waste.

The bacteria on your decorations and substrate is minimal, I'd clean my tank and decorations and get clean water, but id keep all the bacteria in the filter, what size is your tank? This hobby is truly rewarding, I'd hate to see you get frustrated and give up, most people have random die offs, I know I have, just a few days ago I had 4 rummynose tetras and 3 julii corydoras die within a week, one fish a day, and I've had them nearly 6 months! Times may get tough but they will get better, good luck with uour tank and keep at it

It is just a 10-gallon. I really don't want to give up. I love it having it. But, I'm just frustrated that I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. If I don't know the problem, I can't fix it. I hate that feeling!

Maybe the "random die-offs" seem bigger for me because I only have a few fish in the tank at any one time. So, if I lose one or god-forbid two, it's almost my entire stock. Still, I feel like I lose more than is normal. :confused:

I would keep the tank cycled by feeding ammonia or flakes until you can restock. What are you using to test your water? I know you said your parameters are good but if you are using test strips, they can be horribly inaccurate.

I would recommend getting some fish from a trusted source. Whether it be a knowledgeable LFS or a fellow hobbyist. Depending on what you are looking to stock the tank with, you could try HN1 and Severum Mamma on here. I just ordered my second batch of livestock from them and haven't had any die offs.

I use the API liquid testing kit.

I forgot you could feed with flakes... that is good to remember so I don't have to go on a search for ammonia. How long can I sustain the bacteria with flakes before I need to add a fish?

A good while, and someone here awhile back "starved" their bacteria as an experiment and determined that you can leave your tank alone for like 2 weeks and the bacteria won't die off very quickly, but if I were you I'd get some new fish and try again :) get smaller fish so you have more to look at and enjoy, I started with a 10g and I loved that tank, I had my betta Freddy, 5 corys, a population of RCS and it was a very colorful and fun tank, but some bettas would eat the RCS so don't jump into that too quick lol, anyway keep at it and don't give up, we are all here to help you succeed.

Sorry you are having so many issues. Maybe next time you stock, try to only pick very hardy species, and buy from a different source. Good luck!

Try a quarantine for two weeks for anything before you add it to the tank. You can use a rubbermaid tub or buy a 10 gallon tank from Walmart for about $10 to use as a QT. And all you need is a filter and a heater. No substrate or decoration is needed.

Hate to be a wet blanket but mollies are really to big for a 10 gal. Tank. :( nano fish would be a better choice, like CPD's. Stress could be a factor of your fish dying, not enough room for them.

Hate to be a wet blanket but mollies are really to big for a 10 gal. Tank. :( nano fish would be a better choice, like CPD's. Stress could be a factor of your fish dying, not enough room for them.

I was just going to say the same thing, actually.

Maybe research some proper fish for the 10 gal and stock it slowly. I agree to add something to feed the bacteria in the filters though; my preference would be pure ammonia as you can control the dosages and it's less messy; fish food can work but you'd have to add a LOT of it for it to breakdown into 2-4 PPMs of ammonia and it'll cause quite a mess. And if you underdose the bacteria will adjust to the lower ammonia dosing and you might have toxin issues when you do add fish again.

I sympathize with you though. I went through a grueling 4-5 month fishless cycle (I lost count after the 16th week :nono:) and finally was able to add fish about 3 months ago. Since then I've lost six fish out of 27 (three groups), the most recent was last week (actually lost two last week; one of my Panda Corys up and died without any hints that anything was wrong and no visible signs :(). I test my water daily, nitrates never get above 5, no ammonia or nitrite, I do two pwc per week, I don't overfeed, I fast them and feed them peas and veggies, so it's very upsetting when fish die for apparently no reason and I want to blame myself for it but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've often wondered why I'm even doing this but then I'll look at the tank and one of the fish will do something funny (usually a Panda) and make me laugh or the fish will spawn or they'll come up to the front of the tank as if they are saying "hi" and then I'm like 'oh yeah, this is why I still have the tank.' :D

Hang in there.

I'd blame some questionable stock, and some poor advice that you received. We've all been there. A 10 gallon is a pretty small tank and there is no way I would recommend mollies for it. If you can wait until after the holidays and don't mind having stuff shipped, I've got plenty of healthy stuff that would work great in a 10 gallon. You can just dose ammonia or something to keep the bacteria alive until you are ready to restock, but IMO there is no need to tear the tank down. Pretty much anything that can be lurking in there will die off in that amount of time without host fish.

I started with a ten gallon. I had lots of problems. I upgraded to a 55 gallon. The larger the water column the more stable the tank will be. Keep asking questions here. I learned alot. Don't give up. I still loose fish for no reason. You live and learn. Don't beet yourself up.check Craigslist. I got a free 55 gallon from there.

Would you be happy with just one fish? A betta would be nice in a 10 gallon. All the ones I've ever had were very hardy and lived about 5 years.

My original plan was to have guppies, but then I wanted one larger fish so that is when I got the Dalmation Molly. I did have 2 at one point.. I was going by the stock calculator site. Can't recall the name, but I'm sure you now the one.

I wouldn't be opposed to just having a beta actually. That's a possibility.

I'm in a townhouse right now and my BF and I are looking for houses, so I don't plan to upgrade until we're in a house. There just isn't room for anything bigger, and I don't want to have to move anything bigger either.

The fun thing about bettas is they have such cute personalities, they actually look back at you through the glass. And some do fine with other fish, I've got one in with 2 mollies and 2 little Tetras. But some don't do well with others at all. But I've just always loved them, and for me they've survived some less than ideal conditions.

cubsfan85 said:
My original plan was to have guppies, but then I wanted one larger fish so that is when I got the Dalmation Molly. I did have 2 at one point.. I was going by the stock calculator site. Can't recall the name, but I'm sure you now the one.

I wouldn't be opposed to just having a beta actually. That's a possibility.

I'm in a townhouse right now and my BF and I are looking for houses, so I don't plan to upgrade until we're in a house. There just isn't room for anything bigger, and I don't want to have to move anything bigger either.

Aq advisor. I use that all the time.

I'd use it for entertainment purposes... but I wouldn't put a lot of faith in what it says.

Back
Top Bottom