Frustrated.. thinking I'm not cut out for fishkeeping. Need advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, so we're one week out now. Everything has been cleaned well (sans filter media and biowheel). I've only ever cleaned the plants and decor in tank water, and I could never get them very clean. One blast with hot water from the sink and they're brand new!

Now, the tank is just hanging out waiting for its new inhabitants. So - I'm thinking stock. I had been considering the lone beta, but I really don't think I'd be happy with only one fish. I did it for a while unintentionally when the DM was the only fish left, and I didn't hate it, but I'd rather have more.

I'm definitely thinking guppies, because they're active and fun to watch. But, what can I put with them? Before, I was doing a larger fish as my centerpiece, but I'm thinking now perhaps the gups will be my CP so to speak. I know many schooling fish need more room than a 10g, but I've been researching here and elsewhere, and many people recommend Neon Tetra.

Thoughts? And if those two species are a good choice, how many of each and how should I add them?

Just curious if you've been dosing the tank with some ammonia source during the time it's been without fish?

I wouldn't put Neons in a 10 gal; they're active fish and should have more horizontal swim space than a 10 gal can provide them; most would disagree but that's my opinon.

You could definitely do Guppies; you might want to consider all males though or else you'll be overrun with babies in no time and you'll quickly run out of tank space.

Some other choices are:
--Endler's Livebearers
--Nano fish suchas Ember Tetra, Celestial Pearl Danio or Chili Rasbora (you could add a small school of one of these)
--Pygmy Cories

So for example you could do 5 Endler's, 8 of one type of Nano fish and 4 Pygmy Cories. Or maybe 3 male guppies, 6 nano fish and 4 Pygmy Cories?

There are probably more options but those are the ones I'm most familiar with. Glad you decided to stay with it!

Oh yes, all males. I had an accidental baby issue a few months ago I posted about when Petsmart sold me a female they thought was a male. The store didn't want to help me so I had to email corporate to get them to take the babies and exchange the fish for a male (the guy who just died, in fact). There is no way I want any part of that again! I kept encouraging them to eat their young and they just wouldn't do it. :lol:

I've never heard of some of those listed... my only experience with stock is from Petsmart remember. I'll have to look them up and have a list for when I go to the LFS and see what they have available. I assume I'll be opened up to a much wider variety there!

Ok, so we're one week out now. Everything has been cleaned well (sans filter media and biowheel). I've only ever cleaned the plants and decor in tank water, and I could never get them very clean. One blast with hot water from the sink and they're brand new!

Now, the tank is just hanging out waiting for its new inhabitants. So - I'm thinking stock. I had been considering the lone beta, but I really don't think I'd be happy with only one fish. I did it for a while unintentionally when the DM was the only fish left, and I didn't hate it, but I'd rather have more.

I'm definitely thinking guppies, because they're active and fun to watch. But, what can I put with them? Before, I was doing a larger fish as my centerpiece, but I'm thinking now perhaps the gups will be my CP so to speak. I know many schooling fish need more room than a 10g, but I've been researching here and elsewhere, and many people recommend Neon Tetra.

Thoughts? And if those two species are a good choice, how many of each and how should I add them?

ETA: I'm not planning to add anything for another week, I just want to have a game plan.

Most of the info out there, says that neons should only be added to mature tanks. Guppies are always a good choice and offers more options color wise. just make plans for housing fry. unless you are doing all males.

Have you ever considered a dwarf cichlid tank? cichlids are a little more hardy. And there are a lot of really colorful fish availible. some even of which can be mixed with smaller fish. Rams are the first thing that comes to mind. Beautifull fish! with great personality.

sorry for participating in the sidetracking of your thread. Not the type of first impression I wanna make.

Oh gosh.. something else. Was planning on getting to the fish store today or tomorrow and I was looking at the tank and noticed tiny white strings floating around. Short, maybe 1/4" or less long.

I read this might be some kind of algae? I don't think it could be a 'bug' or anything like that since the tank is empty except for gravel.

Back
Top Bottom