Frustrated...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lurker79

Aquarium Advice Regular
As I have mentioned before I have a 55g community and a 10g fry tank. The 55g is great the 10g is a thorn in my side. I have been checking it daily and the levels have been good, they have been 7.4 ph, 0 Nitrite, 0 ammonia, and 5 Nitrates almost every day. When I went to clean the tank yesterday though I had 30 dead platy fry?? I know they are sensitive and many things can cause this but it is so frustrating. I know it has something to do with the tank because every fish that has been in it, adult and fry alike, has shown some signs of being sick. I had not found this site back when I set up the tank so I didn't ask here, but I did ask elsewhere if the tank was ok to use. It had previously been used for a hamster, but I cleaned it well before using it for fish. I feel like an idiot now because I am assuming that has to be the problem. I have gotten all of the fish out of it and I am going to take it down and put it away, or smash it to pieces. :banghead: Am I right in assuming that is the problem?

I suppose it depends on what you used to clean it and any other number of factors. Most likely the tank should be usable regardless of what it previously housed. Are you heating it? Is it near any drafty windows or cold/warm air? Drastic temp swings can cause something like this.

Wow that's sad :(

Kind of hard to diagnose the problem. How long did you have the tank with the fry in it?
And what kind of filtration were you using? I'm assuming the filter was already cycled since your readings seemed to be ok.
Water temp?

It has been set up for about 2 months, with most of that time having fish in it. I didn't know about cycling when I set it up, but have since been watching it closely and all numbers have been good for the most part. The ammonia did rise a little 2 days ago it was slightly lighter than .25 ppm. I did a 50% wc and numbers went back down. I made sure water was conditioned and the same temp before I added it. The next day is when I found them dead, but that is not the first time I lost a lot of fry at once. It happened a few weeks ago also, most of those were molly fry. I am heating it and the temp stays at 78. It is not near a window or a draft. The filter is an aqua tech that you get in the kits at walmart. I know that could probably be better but I thought it would be ok in a 10g fry tank. I cleaned it with water and vinegar and rinsed it very well.

It has been set up for about 2 months, with most of that time having fish in it. I didn't know about cycling when I set it up, but have since been watching it closely and all numbers have been good for the most part. The ammonia did rise a little 2 days ago it was slightly lighter than .25 ppm. I did a 50% wc and numbers went back down. I made sure water was conditioned and the same temp before I added it. The next day is when I found them dead, but that is not the first time I lost a lot of fry at once. It happened a few weeks ago also, most of those were molly fry. I am heating it and the temp stays at 78. It is not near a window or a draft. The filter is an aqua tech that you get in the kits at walmart. I know that could probably be better but I thought it would be ok in a 10g fry tank. I cleaned it with water and vinegar and rinsed it very well.

Hard to say but I'm thinking your filter has not cycled or is not big enough to handle the fish and feeding? Maybe you cleaned or changed your filter media?

It is a 30-60 so I thought it might even be too much but everything I read about it said that as long as the fish weren't having trouble swimming in the current that it would be fine. The fry were swimming fine. I have not changed the media. In the 2 months that it has been set up I have swished it in old tank water during one water change. I was under the impression that once your ammonia and nitrite were at 0 and you had some nitrates for several days you were most likely cycled. I have been that way except the one day that the ammonia went up slightly (still under .25 ppm) for over 2 weeks. Am I wrong about that? If so please tell me how to know for sure when it is cycled. I really appreciate your help. I have had aquariums for a long time but I am just now realizing I was very uneducated.

It is a 30-60 so I thought it might even be too much but everything I read about it said that as long as the fish weren't having trouble swimming in the current that it would be fine. The fry were swimming fine. I have not changed the media. In the 2 months that it has been set up I have swished it in old tank water during one water change. I was under the impression that once your ammonia and nitrite were at 0 and you had some nitrates for several days you were most likely cycled. I have been that way except the one day that the ammonia went up slightly (still under .25 ppm) for over 2 weeks. Am I wrong about that? If so please tell me how to know for sure when it is cycled. I really appreciate your help. I have had aquariums for a long time but I am just now realizing I was very uneducated.

Well from every thing you mentioned here, your filter "should" be cycled, of course that is if in those two months you had fish in it.
What is a 30-60? I'm thinking a filter for up to 60 gallons?

I used an old reptile tank for my first 29 gal setup , had big issues with ammonia readings in the beginning, I've read that animal waste can hang around in the silicone seals(not in but between sil and glass) hamsters are great waste makers...

If I just get a new tank to set up and begin cycling it should be fine to use the other things I have in that tank right?

I have moved the remaining fry into my 55g in a breeder box and they seem to be doing better. I hate that they are in there I like for them to have the tank to swim in but they will be eaten for sure. Oh well they will eventually get big enough to release with the others.

If I just get a new tank to set up and begin cycling it should be fine to use the other things I have in that tank right?

I have moved the remaining fry into my 55g in a breeder box and they seem to be doing better. I hate that they are in there I like for them to have the tank to swim in but they will be eaten for sure. Oh well they will eventually get big enough to release with the others.

If there is a Petco near you, they are still having the $1 per gallon sale. You might be able to pick up a new tank cheap.

Back
Top Bottom