Fry getting pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is possible for fry that are about a month old to get pregnant? I have one of my platy fry that is noticeably bigger than the others are seems to have a very small, what I think it is anyway, gravid spot.

It looks this way all time. I didn't know if it was possible or not

I don't think platys mature enough to reproduce until they are closer to 4 months old. Fry seem to grow and mature at different rates, so it's not unusual to see a few much bigger than their "siblings". Maybe this one is just more aggressive at finding food?

too young at a month. they seem to have what looks like a tiny gravid spot pretty early. my oldest fry are approaching the 4 month mark and some of them are maturing to males and showing colors and gonopodiums (a few are showing up as endlers!!)

I have 18 platy fry ( almost 3 months old) and there is a huge difference in their sizes.
Also, some appear to have bigger, darker belly's... I never was concerned, I just thought they ate a ton.

JerseyGirl1385 said:
I have 18 platy fry ( almost 3 months old) and there is a huge difference in their sizes.
Also, some appear to have bigger, darker belly's... I never was concerned, I just thought they ate a ton.
If it is its no big deal, I have a tank specifically for fry anyway. Just reminded me of a platy being pregnant.

Do you have any pictures of your fry?

I feel like mine are growing SO SLOW!!!!!!
At almost 3 months old I thought they'd be a heck of a lot bigger :)

JerseyGirl1385 said:
Do you have any pictures of your fry?

I feel like mine are growing SO SLOW!!!!!!
At almost 3 months old I thought they'd be a heck of a lot bigger :)

I'll try and get some tomorrow for ya :) key word try lol. Some are bigger than others, one of them has noticeable more color than the others. I'm so amazed by them :)

Omg I know! I split the fry up into both of my tanks and it seems they're growing even faster now.
A lot of them in my 37g tank look like minnie platy's, color and all :)

Ok, I look forward to seeing yours. I'll try taking some more pictures tomorrow also. They move waaaay too fast for me lol

JerseyGirl1385 said:
Omg I know! I split the fry up into both of my tanks and it seems they're growing even faster now.
A lot of them in my 37g tank look like minnie platy's, color and all :)

Ok, I look forward to seeing yours. I'll try taking some more pictures tomorrow also. They move waaaay too fast for me lol

Mine move pretty darn quick too lol.

Back
Top Bottom