Fry past the 1 week stage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still have the 1 discus fry left. The 29g looks so empty with just that tiny thing in there.

The melons have laid again last night and I'm going to try removing the female once they become wigglers. That will be tomorrow night sometime.

I swapped breeding tanks for the Snow whites and Red Diamonds. The whites now have a little more privacy in that they can't see any other fish. I'm hoping this makes them feel more apt to spawn. My guess is the Reds will lay during the day sometime. They're vigorously cleaning that breeding cone.

well I tried to get a pic of the 1 discus fry left. I just don't think my camera is good enough for this kind of detail. Here's the shot, + 1 of the melons guarding their clutch.

:D Here's a pic of the red diamonds (taken yesterday). I want to disturb them as little as possible as they spawned during the night.

Well the trials continue. For all interested, I still haven't gotten any fry past 30 days. Most only last about 3 weeks now. The truth is, I'm not really trying.It won't be until sometime in Feb that I'll start the discus hatchery. Then I hope to have the capacity in gallons to start growing them out.

On the bright side these discus still keep trying. These are a few of the spawns that are occuring right now.

Perhaps something will come of these spawns then. Good luck!

Your fish are beautiful. :D

Thanks. The thing I'm amazed at is 3 pairs spawned in the same 75 gallon tank. 2 of the flower pots are only about 18 inches apart. Every once in a while the 2 pairs will spar with each other but quickly go back to tending the spawn. Also this tank is no more than 2 feet off the ground. They are constantly harrassed by our cats, yet the discus still go about their parenting tasks. What COOL fish. :)

What do they eat? I've been thinking about having some discus when I get a larger tank? Are they hard to maintain? Now that you're technically a grand-dad, can you give any advice on raising these guys?

Do you have a tank room Brian? Or are your tanks placed around the house? I would like to see a picture of all your tanks together. :D
I really hope you are succesfull in setting up your hatchery. What are the plans? How many tanks? How much will you be earning per discus? Or would this be enough profit to just maintain the hatchery? Will you be retiring from your daytime job for this? Would you consider employing me in aiding you with the hatchery? Would i have stocks in The BrianNY Discus Breeding Facility inc.? Could i then start of the Belgian branch of BNYDBF?

Hoping on coöperating in the future.

Thomas

:lol: WOW. You guys have asked alot of questions. I don't mind answering them at all. First you need to know that I've been in this hobby for almost 40 years. When I saw my first discus I knew it was the fish for me. I love a challenge and knew I wanted to breed them when I was 12 years old.

Discus are NOT hard to keep once you understand their requirements and make a commitment to supply them. They aren't danios and they aren't Great Danes. They are somewhere in between.

I currently have 49 discus. 4 pairs are in their own 29 gallon spawning tanks. The rest are in (2) 125g, a 75g a 55g, and a 50g. I rotate the pairs in the spawning tanks every few weeks (I do have my favorites).

I fly in 2 lbs of live blackworms every month. They also get tetra bits, frozen bloodworms, earthworm flakes and a variety of veggies (mostly frozen spinach). Between my wife and I, we probably spend an hour a day changing water and cleaning filters.

I've really no ambition Thomas to do this for anyone other than myself. But if you want the Belgian BrianNY discus franchise, it's yours *LOL*

My plans are to build a discus hatchery. It will contain all of the equipment I need (including water storage and RO), to raise the spawns I want. Knowing me, I'll probably be giving most of these away. I may sell some but I'm not doing this to make money. If I break even I'll be more than happy. :lol: I love the discus and find it a joy to care for them.

These guys will go free swimming tonight.

Awesome BrianNY. I really am gonna have to make a trip to NY. BrianNY ancistrus and discus. Sounds like reason enough to make the 6 hr drive. :D

Brian, it sounds like your breeding program is moving in the right direction. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before you are raising discus fry to adulthood. What about the water conductivity issue you mentioned at the GCAS meeting? Have you experimented with mixing tap & RO water?

Right now that's more of a theory on my part QTOFFER. Another factor that could be killing the fry are gill flukes. It is possible that the adult discus can deal with minor outbreaks with no ill effect. However this would be fatal to fry. One of the things I should do is treat every tank for several weeks at the same time as a preventative. :roll: It's just that so many gallons is expensive. I certainly don't have all the answers yet but I'm learning.

you can start with just one tank as a test to see if that is it, and don't swap any fish in or out (obviously).

That's good thinking rubysoho. :D . The thing is I already know that flukes are an issue. The only way I can be sure they are gone is to do every tank. I ordered all the medication yesterday and I should be done with treatments in 3 weeks. It's just something I need to do anyway.

Back
Top Bottom