Fry tank care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I set up my fry tank Thursday. It's a 3-gal half moon tank. This weekend, I had a big nitrate spike. It was at 80. Everything else was not bad. Little ammonia, little nitrite, pH was normal. There is currently nothing in the tank. It's waiting for my Cory cats to lay their eggs. I was wondering about how to care for it while I wait, and for that matter, the whole time would be beneficial. Should I do daily big water changes? Any other advice about it? Thanks.

Bettagal..lol are you stressing again...lol....your going to be such a good grandparent to those fry when they do come......lol......personally I woould just put your filter on your other tank that has inhabitants then once your cory's have laid their eggs you can add water from your main tank (less stress about temp and already pristine) and add the filter on...
If you don't want to do that then I personally would add RCS...I was told they won't eat the eggs but they will keep them clean of fungus....someone else may chime in with other options

Bettagal..lol are you stressing again...lol....your going to be such a good grandparent to those fry when they do come......lol......personally I woould just put your filter on your other tank that has inhabitants then once your cory's have laid their eggs you can add water from your main tank (less stress about temp and already pristine) and add the filter on...
If you don't want to do that then I personally would add RCS...I was told they won't eat the eggs but they will keep them clean of fungus....someone else may chime in with other options

Lol. I'm not trying to stress. Just wanna do it right. I can move it for now. Does it need to run to get the benefits or can it just sit there? Probably a stupid question. It's run by an air pump, which I need a stronger one for that tank. I will be getting some red cherry shrimp in a couple weeks for that tank. Unless I misunderstood the acronym and RCS doesn't mean red cherry shrimp. How many is recommended for a 3-gal? Yes, I know. Too many questions.

Lol. I'm not trying to stress. Just wanna do it right. I can move it for now. Does it need to run to get the benefits or can it just sit there? Probably a stupid question. It's run by an air pump, which I need a stronger one for that tank. I will be getting some red cherry shrimp in a couple weeks for that tank. Unless I misunderstood the acronym and RCS doesn't mean red cherry shrimp. How many is recommended for a 3-gal? Yes, I know. Too many questions.

lol...your fine....just get maybe 2-6 and yes that does mean red cherry shrimp...and yes turn it on OR just take your media out and place it in your established tank filter then pull out once you need it

lol...your fine....just get maybe 2-6 and yes that does mean red cherry shrimp...and yes turn it on OR just take your media out and place it in your established tank filter then pull out once you need it

There's an idea. Stick the cartridge in the big filter. I might get 3 or 4 then. Maybe all will go well when I have eggs. None yet, but she did decide to get fatter this morning. I'm guessing its because this is her first time? Maybe in the future things will go smoother?

Back
Top Bottom