Fry Tank Tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I finally managed to get a 10 gallon fry/quarantine tank. I'm hoping to raise platy and corydoras fry in it. Currently it is empty;
I plan to buy an airstone, airline tubing, and a sponge filter sometime soon, as well as a heater.
Any advice on how many watts I need? I've even researching, but getting conflicting information.
Decor- I want to go bare-bottom, for easy maintenance. I hate fake plants, but am thinking that will be the way to go with this tank. As much as I want to do live plants, the only ones I know of that don't need substrate are anubias and java moss. Do you know of any others? Would it be worth it to get some live plants and tie them to driftwood to supplement my fake ones?
Also, how do I seed it? Should I just run the sponge filter in my established tank? Should I take decor/ filter media from my established tank and put it in the new tank? Or should I buy one of those "start up" kits or another bottle of tetra safestart at the store?
The sooner I get this tank cycled and livable, the sooner my platy can have some pals. I'm thinking I'll quarantine them for 6 weeks or so before they go into the main tank. From there, I expect fry galore in the 10 gallon. :lol:

You can cycle the sponge in original tank.
The java moss can float just fine.It will provide shelter and FOOD for the fry.
I really never worry about fry tanks being cycled because if you want them to grow the fish you will overfeed and thus need to change water daily if not every other....

Back
Top Bottom