Fungal outbreak.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

About 3 days ago my pleco had a white spot on him. Someone suggested it might be a fungal thing. Now my gourami has a white spot on him I attached a picture. What is causing this... My tank is only about 3 weeks old, what could it be from and what can I do to stop it.
Thanks for the help
Dan

Attachments

• image-2874978136.jpg
    image-2874978136.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 63
  • image-2137147748.jpg
    image-2137147748.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image-3227297995.jpg
    image-3227297995.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 68
Hey all,

About 3 days ago my pleco had a white spot on him. Someone suggested it might be a fungal thing. Now my gourami has a white spot on him I attached a picture. What is causing this... My tank is only about 3 weeks old, what could it be from and what can I do to stop it.
Thanks for the help
Dan

Have you added any new fish to the tank in the last few days or so? What did you do for this white spot? How did your pleco do?

All my fish are all new except for my pleco who I have had in my 36 gal for 6 months. My pleco healed on his own I waited a day and saw it was better and waited another day and by then it was almost gone. This one looks worse though. I did add an angelikus loach yesterday, but other then that my guaramis, plattys, ghost shrimp, bleeding heart tetra, striped zebras, and bottom feeders were all added the same day. My water temp is at 78, my tank was cycled, however after adding all the fish my nitrite was ever so slightly elevated, I have done a water change to be safe, ammonia is at 0 and nitrate is at 20 ppm. In a new tank, I just don't understand the outbreak.

All my fish are all new except for my pleco who I have had in my 36 gal for 6 months. My pleco healed on his own I waited a day and saw it was better and waited another day and by then it was almost gone. This one looks worse though. I did add an angelikus loach yesterday, but other then that my guaramis, plattys, ghost shrimp, bleeding heart tetra, striped zebras, and bottom feeders were all added the same day. My water temp is at 78, my tank was cycled, however after adding all the fish my nitrite was ever so slightly elevated, I have done a water change to be safe, ammonia is at 0 and nitrate is at 20 ppm. In a new tank, I just don't understand the outbreak.

Hmm. That's a little odd. Let me do a little research real quick. I don't wanna throw something out there without being sure.

To me, the spot on your gourami's back looks more like the saddleback of Columnaris than a fungal infection. In that case, you'll need to quarantine your gourami and treat him with a Gram-negative antibiotic. I read Maracyn II is the Gram-negative of those, and there's another one I'm blanking on. I'm not an expert on most of the fish you have. I'm sorry. I don't know how most of them will handle treatment, but I have seen that heat is the worst thing you can do. I have seen Columnaris in other tanks, but have not had to deal with it in mine (knock on wood). I can tell you what I've read from researching in an attempt to help others looking, but I have no firsthand accounts for it. Hopefully someone here has and can tell you whether what I say based on research is a good idea or if I'm completely crazy.

Back
Top Bottom