Fungi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabriel3303

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a white moss like substance growing on one of my pieces of drift wood is this algae or fungi of some sort an what can i do to nip it in the butt

I believe it is a type of fungi. I had it on my driftwood, it is very common and harmless. It should go away on its own soon.

it's harmless and some of your fish might even eat it. it happens when the driftwood didn't go through proper curing process

Ahhh i boiled an soaked it for a week so im glad its nothing i did an thank u for the background learning the reason for the issue instead of just the issue i really enjoy

just for your information, i baked, boiled, and soaked my driftwood for a month, and the fungi still comes back

I had a piece of driftwood that I boiled and soaked for about 2 weeks. It took close to a month for the white growth to go away. I just sucked it up with a turkey baster occasionally.

You can remove the DW, put it in a sink on top of some paper towels, pour Hydrogen Peroxide 3% over it, then lay the peroxide soaked paper towels over the DW and leave them sit for 20 minutes. Do not rinse and return to the tank. The peroxide kills the fungus and tends to keep it from returning. If something is in the tank that you can't remove and treat with Peroxide you can spot treat it by turning off your filter, pulling up 3ml of H. Peroxide for every 10g of tank water in a syringe. Hold syringe right up to the fungus and slowly squirt. Leave filters off for 20 minutes. If you have a lot of fungus you'll have to spot treat an area each day.

The only issue with that is its on all the drift wood an alot of the plants :/ its not taking over but its spreading not decreasing?

So you treat it... if you can't treat something outside the tank then treat it in the tank. You'll have to do an area a day. If plants are on the DW it won't hurt to take them out and treat it for 20 minutes. I've done it. Plants are out of water longer when they are shipped so it won't hurt them. If you don't want to spot treat them vacuum out as much of it as you can and let it run its course. It will go away in time.

K thank you sorry if i seem irritated been a long couple months with messing my hang up an dealing with a pregnant Komodo dragon yaaaaa

K thank you sorry if i seem irritated been a long couple months with messing my hang up an dealing with a pregnant Komodo dragon yaaaaa

Sounds like fun... not! You didn't sound irritated, more like worried that removing the plants on the DW out of the water would hurt them.

No not the plant on the drift wood the plants in my subtrate have it too i was worried bout them i didn't want to up root them so early in the tank

Back
Top Bottom