Fungus on Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlady100000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I think my Black Moor may have a serious fungus. I have treated with a Fungal Removal to no avail. Any suggestions? I am not sure what kind of fungus this is. I think it looks like cotton wool, but the treatment I had should have remedied this problem. It is NOT ick. I have treated this problem before and recognise the symptoms. My moor is sitting at the bottom of the tank, but is very responsive. Any suggestions before I guess my next treatment??? I have had this fish for 4 years now. I would love to keep him longer. :) [/ATTACH]

Attachments

• DSCN4305.jpg
    DSCN4305.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 223
sorry, the tank readings are as follows: nitrate 20's Nitrite 0's GH about 25 Chlorene 0 Alkalinity 200 approx PH 8.4 approx.

Do you have your ammonia readings as well? How big is his tank/are there other fish with him? Have you introduced any new fish recently? I think it may be a bacterial infection. What type of meds did you use to treat initially/ingredients of meds? I would try treating with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as minocycline or kanamycin along with theraputic level of aquarium salt. More info will help figure out whats going on!

Hi,

It looks like ich or something that's affecting him. What kind of test kit are your testing your water with?

I would try doing more PWC. What size tank is he in?

Water changes, daily until better. Add salt, goldfish respond very well to salt treatment.
Which fungus med did you use?

39 gallon tank. Ammonia test reads 0. No new fish in over two years in the tank. We had another telescopic goldfish, but he got droopsy last year and died. My moor sits most of the time now at the bottom of the tank, but will sprint for the food when it's feeding time. He is in the tank with 2 small loaches (dojo I think, but can't remember what kind) and an algae eater. I can't remember if the salt will affect the other fish or not, but if needed I can relocate the other fish. My black moor is huge and moving him would be a problem because I don't have a large hospital tank. The pics look like ich, but it is definitely not ich. I have had experience with that before. This kinds looks like soap film on him. I did a treatment with Fungus Eliminator by Jungle (I happened to have it in the cabinet at the time) and then did a water change. He seemed a bit better, but now looks like he is the same( maybe a little worse) again. Thanks for the help everyone!!

Thanks for the information! I dont know how salt will affect your other guys but thats is where i would start. Bottom-sitting in goldfish indicates that there may be something going on internally as well. Im still going to recommend a course with minocycline or kanamycin plus aq salt. You can try a week with just the salt & lots of healthy water & see if that helps first before treating with antibiotics. I have seen something similar before & the white spots eventually ulcerated so i would start treating as soon as possible. Good luck & let us know what happens!

I don't prefer the Jungle products, I would try out Quick Cure. It will treat ich and velvet (it looks like velvet me).

IME scaleless fish are no more sensitive to salt or Quick Cure than any other fish, which makes sense since both get in mainly through the gills, not the skin.

Daily water changes, 20% or so. Add some salt each time. Get some Quick Cure.

What was your water change schedule?
What is the nitrate concentration?

Just an update. Black Moor finally died this weekend. I am still not sure what he had, but all of the box treatments didn't work. I do have to say that there was only one medication mix that did help out and most likely kept him around for the additional months. Melafix and Pimafix combined into the tank were the only meds that acutally showed improvement. I think he was just too far along. Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. I really appreciate it. :fish1:

Back
Top Bottom