Fungus or columnaris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I know I posted about the parva rainbow she isn't better still has the growth by her gill but still swims and eats like a pig so not sure what to do but I noticed a small white fuzzy looking patch on my bosemani, he eats and swims crazy as well, I don't want to give up the hobby but I can't go through another Case of this either, I lowered the tank temp to 75, I don't have any meds on hand except rid ich + and salt which I know i can go half dose and not kill my plants but I'm not sure what I should do here's a couple pics.
Fungus or columnaris https://imgur.com/a/INxh0

Looks like an injury /missing scale ..
Possibly just an injury that is getting infected?
How long has it looked like that ?

Gonna let it be for tonight I'm sick to my stomach thinking it's the big C word, that and my power keeps going out from tree branches taking out power lines, Thursday is my water change day so if I see it get worse i know columnaris isn't fuzzy so I'll have to Look up a treatment for that.

I agree with CB. Looks like a minor abrasion, with a fungus.

So what do I do? Water parameters are perfect as per usual, I know they say clean water is the best treatment but my water is prestine (except my intake tubes) I clean dead snails off them daily

Give it time .
You are right on top of it .
I think it will heal up as you said your water is good.
Bows can be spaz so it probably just ran/swam into something. keep your eye on it ,but sweat it at this point.

Boesemani healed up fine, i did euthanize the parva as that sore got huge and a hole started to form, I hated doing it as she ate great swam fine didn't act sick but I just couldn't risk it being infectious to the other fish [emoji22]

The Parva might have had Lymphocystis. I've seen pics of massive ugly cystis growths on fish. It's got to hurt. Glad things are back to normal.

The Parva might have had Lymphocystis. I've seen pics of massive ugly cystis growths on fish. It's got to hurt. Glad things are back to normal.
Ty, I just feel bad for putting a healthy fish down , but I just can't risk it, it also had a hole and what looked like clear strands coming off it

Boesemani healed up fine, i did euthanize the parva as that sore got huge and a hole started to form, I hated doing it as she ate great swam fine didn't act sick but I just couldn't risk it being infectious to the other fish [emoji22]

Ty, I just feel bad for putting a healthy fish down , but I just can't risk it, it also had a hole and what looked like clear strands coming off it

Now you are being proactive without the use of meds ..(y)
I know it does not sound like a success story when you have to euthanize a fish but if it was risking the health of an otherwise healthy tank full of fish it is IMO the proper and smart thing to do.
In what seems to be a 'me , me , me' world many don't even understand what one sacrifice for many could even mean ...It is better for all IMO to remove the issue 100% effectively ,then to make attempts that may always be questioned.
I have too many fish to tolerate a sick fish any where in my fish room..
The risk can quickly become overwhelming and disasterous .
I know everyone wants to save their fish but the pros make the sacrifice just to diagnose [few true scientific diagnosis can be obtained from live patients] .You never would have seen up close what you did without removing the fish IMO.

I think you did the right smart thing when you consider the investment of time and effort you put into your tank not to mention value.

Now you are being proactive without the use of meds ..(y)
I know it does not sound like a success story when you have to euthanize a fish but if it was risking the health of an otherwise healthy tank full of fish it is IMO the proper and smart thing to do.
In what seems to be a 'me , me , me' world many don't even understand what one sacrifice for many could even mean ...It is better for all IMO to remove the issue 100% effectively ,then to make attempts that may always be questioned.
I have too many fish to tolerate a sick fish any where in my fish room..
The risk can quickly become overwhelming and disasterous .
I know everyone wants to save their fish but the pros make the sacrifice just to diagnose [few true scientific diagnosis can be obtained from live patients] .You never would have seen up close what you did without removing the fish IMO.

I think you did the right smart thing when you consider the investment of time and effort you put into your tank not to mention value.
Ty coralbandit, much appreciated, and yeah you have like way to many fish to risk anything lol

Back
Top Bottom