Furan2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitekat87

Aquarium Advice Freak
Quick question. Does Furan2 kill off the biological filtration? The API website says it doesn't but I've heard people say it does

I can't officially say myself ?
I certainly use it when needed as what it treats is usually ferocious in nature.
Meds kill bacteria in order of size ,so if you are up against a strong bacterial infection you might need to treat strong and long enough that some damage may occur.
I never really know as after treating a tank it is usually pretty clear to me that increased maintenance is also needed and I just change enough water not much to worry about it.
When the med is needed I don't worry about my filter one bit...I am usually on the cusp of losing more fish to an infection that has already claimed fish.
Just me...

Thanks. I've only had one death that was a few weeks ago but there is something not right in my tank. The only symptom is white patches (Not fuzzy) on my cherry barbs and one corydora has a wound to it's mouth area. The fish in themselves seem fine. I've treated with an anti parasite medication and a UK available anti bacterial medication but nothing has cleared it up. None of the fish seem like they are at deaths door but just not right. I'm a little worried about columnaris and was thinking of ordering furan2 from the states

Thanks. I've only had one death that was a few weeks ago but there is something not right in my tank. The only symptom is white patches (Not fuzzy) on my cherry barbs and one corydora has a wound to it's mouth area. The fish in themselves seem fine. I've treated with an anti parasite medication and a UK available anti bacterial medication but nothing has cleared it up. None of the fish seem like they are at deaths door but just not right. I'm a little worried about columnaris and was thinking of ordering furan2 from the states
SEACHEM Kanaplex is another med. option - It might be avail. in the UK

I think you are right on columnaris.
Get furan 2 and Seachem kaanaplex[kanamycin] .
Enough to dose for 2-3 complete treatments.
The furan goes in everyday for 4 days and the kanna every other for 3 days.
The furan says clearly on label it may be repeated [the treatment] while the kanna does not ? IMO the furan is the tougher of the 2 meds so I always just keep using the kanna also..
The total of 4 or 6 days of treatment seems short IMO for any creature and antibiotics which is why I always say plan on doing double treatments.
Good luck .
Ask if you want my favorite 2 links on Columnaris ..

Back
Top Bottom