Future Planted tank #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Idealconcepts

Aquarium Advice Freak
From the advice of others on here and research on the cost I have decided not to go with a planted tank for my 130Gal Fw. I do have a 17-18 Gal tank, have just has 1 angel fish that I had to remove from the 130 because the other fish were bitting its fins, but I will be selling the Angel back to the LFS if I can not find a good home for it. I was playing with the idea of turning this tank into a planted tank, currently it has a 125 peguin (I think that is spelled wrong) power filter, with a heater (that I will replace as soon as I decide what to do with the tank), and a 20 watt tube light. Got the tank for free from my friend. Now I wanted to go with dwarf puffer (I believe they stay under an inch when full grow) fish for the tank, but do not recall if puffer fish do good with planted tanks. Can anyone give me so information with dwarf puffers and planted tanks? Am I asking for trouble or is this a good combo. Also an suggestions on the wattage I would need for this, type of plants recommended, and would a small algae eater be safe with the puffers? I would also place some of the common snails for algae as well as food for the puffers. Thanks in advance for any info and advice.

Idealconcepts...

The 20 watt light will allow you to plant low-light plants like Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias and many Cryptocoryne with success. Stay away from the high light plants unless you plan on increasing your wattage considerably.

Puffers should do OK in a planted tank as long as you get the FW types...many plants won't do well in brackish water.

Keep in mind that 'small algae eaters' don't stay small. An 18 gal tank should handle one without too many problems for quite a while.

I have kept dwarf (fw) puffers in a 15-gal planted tank. They LOVE plants, as they are great places to hide and they tend to sleep resting upon the leaves. They did not do any damage to them at all. It was a low-light tank with java fern, crypts and aponogeton. I kept a rubberlip pleco in with my puffers and they did not bother him a bit, and the rubberlip stays relatively small. I had success keeping dwarf puffers with tiger barbs, but the puffers can be brutal (to the death) with each other, so if you want more than one get them all together while small, and don't try to add new ones to a group of adults.

I've kept my dwarf puffers in a planted tank for the last couple of months, and aside from the occasional nip on new leaves (looks funny--a tiny, beautifully chomped, almost perfect semi-circle) they do not mess with these plants. The puffers are *very* aggressive, and you should keep this in mind when choosing tankmates. The otos which I have put in there with the puffers were fine at first, and kept algae low, but have recently been hiding. It's possible, *but not probable* that they're protecting a brood of eggs. I think they're intimidated by the puffers, but I don't see any damage to their fins/body.

I would have recommended otos in a second a week ago, and might again, but ATM, I'm going to have to reserve my decision until I see them perk back up... :?

Oh and yes, DPs max out at 1 inch. Mine are about an inch ATM with fins included. I think they'll grow a little more. :D

Thank you all for your information and advice. I'm very glad to hear there is great success with dwarf Puffers in small planted tanks. I will have to wait on the puffer tank until I decide what to do with the mating convicts and frys I ended up transferring into the tank. Thanks again for all your advice and information.

Back
Top Bottom