FW clams anyone ever have them? they should be here thrusday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zilla870

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found a place that sells them has anyone ever had them B4.
any advice on the would be a great help. Thanks In Advance.

their really cool they burrow in my sand and you can see the sand blowing back up from where they are "filtering"

actually i dont know. they went through the sand easily enough that gravel will probally be okay.

thanks and anyone else have exp with clams in their tank. i dont know much about there care please help

I don't have any experience but have been reading on this site about them and the biggest concern is that you really can't tell when they die because they burrow. That's something to watch for.

Dead specimens will be "gaping" limply, and will not respond to external stimulus.

I am glad you posted this because my LFS has Shark tooth fresh water clams. They have a very large shark tooth shaped extension on the back of their shell. Really cool but I wanted to know about keeping them before investing in the them. That and the clams are about 4-5 invhes long so I didn't think they would be a good addition to a 10 gallon.

all i know is they will help keep your nitrate down and if you put any copper in tank for plants you have to take them out until copper is out of tank.

Yes they are here. They seem to be doing fine so far. One barried itself and the other Two are still only half barried. Thanks for asking!

I just ordered 6 myself for $14. How much did you pay for yours?

We bought 3 @ $2.29 a peice. So about the same amount as you, but if we would have bought 6 then they would have been only $1.99 a piece.

Sorry I have not chimed in first. www.tricker.com sells them for a bit less than what you paid I think. That is where I got mine last year.

I could tell mine was alive because about once a week he would tear a path of destruction across my tank. By destruction I mean sand trench and moved some partially burried rocks. I could tell he died when he started to open not under his own power.

I paid .99 for all 6, it was $14 including shipping. You paid less than that?!?

Back
Top Bottom