fw protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
My lfs told me to get a protein Skimmer to solve my Bio film problem any thoughts?

Aim a powerhead in the general direction of the surface of the water to break up/aggitate the surface biofilm. Should solve your problem.

would a protein skimmer work to get rid of the bio film? my lfs has a protein skimmer for 30$ and a powerhead would cost me 20$ so which one is the better option?

The powerhead!!, protein skimmers are used in SW aquariums and would be a complete waste of $$ in a FW environment. take Renegade's advice.

Pete

A few things off:
1. A protein skimmer will not work in freshwater. Freshwater doesn't form the thick foam skimate due to its lack of well...salt.
2. Any skimmer that costs only 30 bucks and runs on a 20 dollar power head is junk. Don't purchase it if you have sw tank.
3. Surface agitation should be enough to get rid of biofilm. Really it's only a cosmetic problem. I don't really care about my biofilm...

Are you sure they said protein skimmer and not surface skimmer? There are some surface skimming canister inlets and stand alone units out there.

I took all of the advice and got a power head. It works great! Almost all of the biofilm was gone in a few hours. Thanks
(I found out that the Skimmer didn't come with a pump so to get it running it would cost more than 30$ and it was probably junk!)

Wow, some folks will tell you anything to make a sale. I'd be complaining to the LFS but that's JMO. Glad you went for the powerhead rather than a skimmer.

Glad to hear it worked right away for you. I too don't know that I would be frequenting that particular LFS any more.

Back
Top Bottom