Fw tank to brackish, fry and mollies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennifer243

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,
I'm new to this and in need of help.
On Tuesday I set up a 10 gallon FW tank with 10 lbs gravel 3 high bushes, betta grass (fake) and 3 caves.
On wednesday I bought a female betta, 2 mollies (balloon belly and black) unsure of sex, and 1 red mickey mouse platy also unsure of sex since petsmart employee couldn't differentiate.
The tank has a filter, a light and a heater set at 78-80.
On thursday I noticed fry swimming in the tank, and before I could even google what to do next the betta was eating one! I removed her and spent all day searching for and separating fry into a breeder tank. Total of 6. I have no clue who the mother is.
I've been feeding the fry 3 times a day strained egg yolk, flakes, and freeze dried brine shrimp and they seem to be doing well.
Last night though (friday) I noticed the balloon molly and 3 fry doing the "shimmy" and researched that they thrive in brackish water.
My water parameters are ideal.
Questions:
How to transition to brackish?
Can platy survive in brackish?
What could lead my once clear water to now (saturday) being cloudy?
And any tips on raising fry would be most appreciated.
Sorry so long, thank you for your input and time!

Hi

Welcome & great info so far!

The first thing to do is to learn how to cycle your tank so that the toxin levels are healthy. This is most likely what is causing the shimmy.

Here is a good article. :)

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice[/QUOTE]

The fin nearest the tail, on the underside of the fish is different based on gender.

This is a female platy I have:

image-3043417589.jpg

This is a male molly:

image-3369954599.jpg

You may not even own a male. The females can store sperm for three months and use it throughout that window.

A 10 gallon tank will not be able to support your current fish list. The toxin to tank ratio is unbalanced for these types. I feel sad telling you, but I do not want you to have a hard time, losing fish.

Thank you very much!
I now know I have one female balloon belly molly, 1 male black molly, and one male red mickey mouse platy. I would have to get one female soon to even out the ratio correct?

How would I be able to move them to a bigger tank without stessing them? Or should I just move the fry or vice versa?

If you just got a 20g tank, you could throw the adults in there without an issue and do a fish-in cycle. With only those few fish, it wouldn't be hard to watch the water parameters.

You need to move them to a 20 gallon plus for the mollies . The livebearer ratio is one male to two to three females. The 10 gallon will be a great fry tank!!

thanks to all of you for your replies! I've ended up giving the black molly and platy to LFS. I've kept the balloon molly and her fry. All seem to be doing well! I am doing 10% water changes daily and adding StressZyme daily as well, it has helped with the cloudiness of the water. I will see how well I do when I siphon out the tank in a few days!!

I wouldn't bother with StressZyme. Your tank will build bacteria fast enough without it. That one isn't one of the better bottled bacteria products.

Back
Top Bottom