FW to SW???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hunterr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a small 5.5 gallon aquarium that is fully cycled and ready for a really small reef! The only issue is that it is freshwater, and corals seem to only like salt. My question is, can I remove all the decor and fish and very slowly convert gravel to sand or will I have to recycle the tank completely?

I have a small 5.5 gallon aquarium that is fully cycled and ready for a really small reef! The only issue is that it is freshwater, and corals seem to only like salt. My question is, can I remove all the decor and fish and very slowly convert gravel to sand or will I have to recycle the tank completely?

You will need to completely cycle the tank again with live rock. Also, a 5.5 is gonna be tough for a first sw tank, there isn't much fish wise you can put in that tank. You will need good lighting for a reef, did you have a light in mind?

You will need to completely cycle the tank again with live rock. Also, a 5.5 is gonna be tough for a first sw tank, there isn't much fish wise you can put in that tank. You will need good lighting for a reef, did you have a light in mind?
I was afraid of that... And the challenge of it is what I want. I do already have a little experience with saltwater though, I have a 55 gallon FOWLR, I just wanted to do a small reef tank as well. And I am still in the beginning stages and haven't really found any lights. Do you have any somewhat cheap, but high quality, ideas in mind?

Ok, good. You never know.
That's true. since getting into this hobby, I have seen a lot of things that were clearly not researched. Such as putting large animals in really small tanks. That seems popular.

I was afraid of that... And the challenge of it is what I want. I do already have a little experience with saltwater though, I have a 55 gallon FOWLR, I just wanted to do a small reef tank as well. And I am still in the beginning stages and haven't really found any lights. Do you have any somewhat cheap, but high quality, ideas in mind?

Um a par 38 bulb is relatively cheap and will allow you to grow any corals you want :)

Back
Top Bottom