FYI Responsible Plant Keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coursair

Aquarium Advice Addict
Most of you know it is illegal and unethical to release non-Native Fish/Critters into the wild. They can wipe out Native species or become a major pest.

Many of you are new to Planted Tanks. I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Many popular aquarium plants are fast growers and very hardy. Anytime you trim your plants
PLEASE DISPOSE of the trimmings RESPONSIBLY !!!!
Compost pile is great. Nothing where they can reach a water source ! Garbage can, not Toilet. Don't wash out your tank gear near a gutter or sewer.

Also your plants may be completely illegal in some states. If you sell any , know your laws.
Trading some to a club member is fine, just use your head. Don't mail "Noxious Weeds" across state lines.

Be responsible and ask others to be careful so we can keep these plants available.

What is a beautiful centerpiece to us could be a nightmare in your local creek !!!

I love my planted tanks and want to keep my local flora and fauna safe from invasive species !

Thank You
Tina
Member San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society

Yes! How good of you to post this. We recently had a hydrilla invasion in my town and it became a huge public effort to get rid of it. So, common aquarium plants can certainly pose risks!

I was happy to see more discussion on this topic.

Can Mods make a sticky ??

i also think this should be a sticky, ive informed quite a few people about flushing dangerous plants. this post is VERY informative for beginning aquarists. :)

Heck instead of compost or trash why not just give them to a local person so we can all have a wide selection of plants. Post an add in the classifieds or regional forums here and if no one takes ya up then toss them in the local pond. Err I mean toss them in the compost!

Sake said:
Heck instead of compost or trash why not just give them to a local person so we can all have a wide selection of plants. Post an add in the classifieds or regional forums here and if no one takes ya up then toss them in the local pond. Err I mean toss them in the compost!

I'll try to edit my post to reflect that whatever plants you haven't Legally sold or given away be responsibly disposed of.

Considering how many posts I've mentioned buying from Hobbyists and RAOK plants, I assumed it was implied ;)

Sake said:
Dunno what ROAK means sorry :(

Random act of kindness, I believe:) it's bassicly a free drawing/raffle for fish and invert related things. Sometimes you have to pay for shipping.

Ah now I know what all those posts are on TPT lol.

Does anyone know if bits of plant get into a septic tank cause any problems? Sometimes when I do water changes bits of usually rotted/melted plants go down the toilet.

Does anyone know if bits of plant get into a septic tank cause any problems? Sometimes when I do water changes bits of usually rotted/melted plants go down the toilet.

I am wondering this as well since I flush small bits of duck weed.

Well there would be lots of fertilizer down there, but no light!
I don't think plants could grow in a septic tank.

Great post!
I hate invasives and the thought of them wrecking native populations whether it be flora or fauna.

Coursair, would you be interested in making it an article?

I can see what I can do to write it up a bit better and add on. Please feel free to offer anything you think I've missed.

My club may have a write up on this subject as well. We take this subject very seriously.

Coursair "still not a dude"
Aka Tina

Back
Top Bottom