Gallons/litres.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inboysandvoodoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When people talk about how big there tanks are in gallons, how many litres are they talking about? All the tanks I were looking at were in litres and I got a 40l tank. How many gallons would that be?

I bought the tank from pets at home and the amount I've in now is about full as to there recommendations, all my fish seem very happy and o don't think it looks crowed IMG_20170530_005516.jpg

are those are platys , I count 6 how many are male how many are female they are live bearers I see a lot in the future ,

I bought the tank from pets at home and the amount I've in now is about full as to there recommendations, all my fish seem very happy and o don't think it looks crowed View attachment 299846

It's not about looks. It's about Bioload and growing room and swimming room.

What fish do you have ?
I count
4 Platies (?)
6 Swordtails ?
2 Guppies ?

Hard to tell from that pic.

Swords are very active and I recommend 30g or larger.

Plus with Livebearers if the females don't have room to get away, the males may harass them to death.

Guppies are ok in a 10g. Esp if you only have males.

Platies ? I like 20g and above for them myself.

Swords ? Females hit 4-5" when grown. So def bigger is better for them.

It's your tank, but you may start losing fish if you aren't very careful about water changes to keep Ammonia down.

I've got all these fish on Recommendations from my local fish supply shop who are what would live well together and were fine for my tank size. I don't mean to be rude and I appreciate the advice but how much do these gallon tanks cost you? My tank was 110 pound and by the sounds things these 30 odd cost an arm and where do you keep them? ? I'd need an extension on the house

I've got all these fish on Recommendations from my local fish supply shop who are what would live well together and were fine for my tank size. I don't mean to be rude and I appreciate the advice but how much do these gallon tanks cost you? My tank was 110 pound and by the sounds things these 30 odd cost an arm and where do you keep them? ? I'd need an extension on the house
That's because lfs's don't always care about the fish, they just want to sell you stuff, or some just don't really know. It's not that they can't survive now, but you have no margin for error and they have no room to grow (or even swim now).

So many times I have seen someone say "my fish are really happy. ",then later that same person (who already ignored our advice or listenen to 1 person out of 10 who said " they'll be alright " when everyone else said no.) posts "help, desperate sick fish"

As a previous post said, it's your tank, do you want to enjoy it or one day end up fighting nothing but trouble.

I'm hardly going to post in a couple of months time "help my fish are sick" because even if they were, after your delightful comment this wouldn't be the place I'd come looking for advice. I'd go to my friend who's been keeping Tropicals for years and years with no issues or my cousin who used to breed Tropicals, I didn't ask for advice on how many fish I've in my tank I just got it and as much as I'll take on board the advice I'm not gonna run out and buy a big massive tank that I can't afford and have no where to keep. You are actually being quite judgemental and rude :/ I thought joining this was a good idea but you're not even giving advice in a nice way you're just being mean

It is a good idea to join this forum. Often times people we not answer the question directly but this is after all an advice forum. Perhaps the advice could be delivered a little more thoughtfully at times but most times people giving this kind of advice have you and your fishes best interest in mind. It may also be frustrating and upsetting for you after all if your fish were to start dying.

I'm from the UK. 40l is 8.8 uk gallons and 10 US gallons. This site is predominantly US member based so when numbers in gallons are mentioned just remember that they will most likely be refers to US gallons.

Pets at home is a chain store and you get good ones and bad ones. Most of the time the workers there really don't know that much about what the are selling so sometimes you get bad advice. The good thing about any forum is that people have a collectively vast experience base when it comes to keeping fish and have already been through most of the mistakes in the hobby.

The bottom line is the fish you were advised to purchase create a lot of waste and you may struggle to keep harmful toxins from building up unless you do weekly water changes of at least 50% probably more so in the first 5-6 weeks as after then the bacteria that naturally develops in the tank will begin to detoxify the most harmful toxin which is ammonia.

At the end of the day it's up to you what you do with your tank but a little more research will go a long way and this is a great place to get cracking. Hope you stick around.

Good luck.

We have no idea who you are. All we see is the picture of your tank. We are being judgmental about your tank. You didn't ask about your stocking but looking at that picture it's a obviously inappropriately stocked. We care about fish on this site and offered the information about the stock. If telling you what you need to know is rude. Then I'm jumping on the "rude" bandwagon. Just trying to save you some heartache and your fish.

We have all made mistakes. The purpose of this forum is to gain knowledge of fishkeeping from others that have made mistakes previously, have learned from them, and now wish to help others. No one is here to belittle you: they are here to help you.

Inboysandvoodoo... I sincerely apologize for the comments I made that you thought were rude. If you knew me other than through this forum, you would understand my only concern was for the welfare of your fish and your having a good experience in this hobby.

Don't let this deter you from this site, many very knowledgeable aquarists here. I very sincerely hope you stay, ask your friend his/her opinion. See what answer you get, the answer really doesn't matter, what really matters is.. know we will give our opinion, right or wrong, to try and help you.

Again I apologize if you thought any part of the post was rude, mean, condescending, or anything besides the truth. I meant to help you avoid pitfalls, and that is all.

I will stand by my opinions, sorry if they came across wrong. I truly hope you get along OK.

I had kept fish for years and thought that I knew what I was doing. I knew about pH and Ammonia and stuff like that, but nothing about CO2, plants, fertilizers, substrates, lights, and stocking. I have learned from this forum and I am still learning. Sometimes good advice is hard to take, but it makes us better. [emoji3]

I LOVE ❤️ all of you guys (and gals) on this forum.

I had kept fish for years and thought that I knew what I was doing. I knew about pH and Ammonia and stuff like that, but nothing about CO2, plants, fertilizers, substrates, lights, and stocking. I have learned from this forum and I am still learning. Sometimes good advice is hard to take, but it makes us better. [emoji3]

I LOVE ❤️ all of you guys (and gals) on this forum.
+1 I have learned sooooo much here!

IMG_20170531_191611.jpgIMG_20170531_191710.jpg
Maybe i was a little sensitive coming off nightshift. The last batch of fish o got which were my female platys I got from fish keepers Scotland and the lady there seemed to know her stuff and had no problem with my set up. I've been doing weekly water changes and those or my water stats. One day I want a bigger tank but I just cant afford it. You're talking about an awful lot of money. I obviously don't want my fish to die but I'm gonna have to roll with it for now until I can save up for a bigger tank. Any tips on what I can do until then? Apart from getting rid of some fish

Definitely keep track of your water parameters especially Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. Ammonia should be 0: Nitrites should be 0: Nitrates should be 20 ppm or less preferably. PWCs are key to healthy fish

Back
Top Bottom