Garage sale gem 10 gallon build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just posted my great find, here is the build thread. Here is what I got: standard 10 gallon tank, whisper 10-20 gallon filter and some unknown lights that came with the tank( these and the hood will be upgraded.) substrait will be normal color gravel as i have 25 pounds of it, gotta save $$. Going with a natural theme.

It's coming along VERY nicely. Everything's set up, filter cleaned up nicely. Added gravel, hornwort, baby java fern and a piece of pottery from the established 29. Also, rubbed the new and established filter pads together to transfer some bb over. The water is a bit dirty from the gravel. Need to get a piece of driftwood, heater, new bulbs and probably some other things, my mind is in overdrive today, also added some prime. Ok that's enough for now, time to watch some NASCAR and drink a few adult drinks to relax. Any suggestions are welcome!

Y'all want the pictures.

Attachments

• image-3461193526.jpg
    image-3461193526.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 141
  • image-3536654145.jpg
    image-3536654145.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 133
  • image-321919786.jpg
    image-321919786.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 141
  • image-667909146.jpg
    image-667909146.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 139
  • image-2886094129.jpg
    image-2886094129.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 146
  • image-736267300.jpg
    image-736267300.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 147
animalzrok2 said:
are you looking for a colorful fish, or a more wild looking one?

My mind is already racing today, it's been a whirlwind! I can't really began to think about the stocking list yet, but I'm leaning towards a more wild looking fish. The 29 is a community tank. But this 10 gallon will have Cory cats for sure!

We have trace amounts of ammonia!!! It's only 0.5 but it's a start. Would I be moving too fast if I added some of my ghost shrimp to speed along the process?

Be careful about adding fish too soon (granted I'm doing a fish-in cycling myself and so far only one of my fish has fallen ill, though doing better) If there isn't enough good bacteria to counteract the ammonia and waste your shrimp could pay the price.

TheGuppyGirl said:
Be careful about adding fish too soon (granted I'm doing a fish-in cycling myself and so far only one of my fish has fallen ill, though doing better) If there isn't enough good bacteria to counteract the ammonia and waste your shrimp could pay the price.

Oh I know, it was just an idea.its not going to happen.

If you want the cycling process to pick up a little, add some plants and other decor from your other tank to add more BB.

TheGuppyGirl said:
If you want the cycling process to pick up a little, add some plants and other decor from your other tank to add more BB.

I've got some hornwort, java fern and a piece of pottery from my established 29 gallon in already.

Now that I've had some time to get over my excitement. Here is the plan so far. Replace hood/light combo, buy a heater and thermometer strip and more plants. I still plan on a fish less cycle, going to add a new filter pad in to my hob filter on my current tank. Within a few weeks, I should have enough bb to add the filter pad back on the 10 gallon.

I still need a hood and light for my 10 gallon too. But I'm getting the filter tomorrow for sure and I plan on starting the cycling process. I'm excited to get a couple more kuhli loaches and guppies. Any tips on helping driftwood stay at the bottom?

TheGuppyGirl said:
I still need a hood and light for my 10 gallon too. But I'm getting the filter tomorrow for sure and I plan on starting the cycling process. I'm excited to get a couple more kuhli loaches and guppies. Any tips on helping driftwood stay at the bottom?

You could water log it in a bucket for a few days. Or the denser stuff just sinks.

Here is my mopani I picked up last night. Currently boiling it.

Attachments

• image-948402475.jpg
    image-948402475.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom