Gardeneri killies nipping tails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have male and female gar. Killies in my 29 gal. Community tank, everytime I add new fish they are missing sections of their tails the next morning, I suspect the female killi to be the culprit of these night time nippings, would a 5 gal be a suitable re-home for the pair? Tank is cycled and waiting, netting these guys is going to be tricky so I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake before I attempt to do so

What else do you have in the tank? I keep Gardneri P82 Killifish and the only problem is the males will go after other males. They don't nip at non killifish. The females tend to be quite docile.

I keep a variety of fish, when I introduced the killies they destroyed my 3 apisto's tails the first night, friends the next night, chalked it up to a one time deal, just added 4 zebra danios, next morning 3 out of 4 were missing 70%-80% of their tails, the male stays in his moss cave, the female runs the upper water, sits under floating plants, very territorial

Sounds like you got a very aggressive pair which can happen with Killi's. I keep a few different kinds but have only had issues with the Gardneri males. As for them being in a 5 gallon... maybe. If you try it be sure it's planted so they don't get aggressive with each other which can also happen. Be sure to keep up on weekly 50% WC's as well.

that's my only concern putting them in the 5, it's that or back to the Lfs, I really enjoy having them so I'd like to give it a try, I'm going to construct a mini moss cave for male and transfer the floating plants she likes to the tank, fingers crossed, I'll post back in a week

So far so good, they hang out all day , no aggression, the real difference is the tank I removed them from, stress colors on my other fish are gone, success !

Back
Top Bottom