Gardening: show off & discuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HN1

Aquarium Advice Addict
After battling and finally losing the battle with weeds and grass in our previously dug garden last year, we decided to do a raised bed this year. We also started off some blackberry and raspberry bushes in pots along with a whiskey barrel for some peppers (cayenne & red cherry). Going from memory so I will probably miss something. We have tomatoes (3 varieties), red, yellow, and green bell peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, dwarf egg plant, dwarf watermelon, and had beans but they fried. We bought 90% of the plants online as seeds or in the case of the berries, sticks with roots. The weather has been rough on it overall, but the survivors seem to be dealing with things fairly well. We got a ton of hard rain and hail a week or two after we transferred the plants from seed starter to ground and it has been ~100 here for the last 2 weeks. Ok, well that's the story of our garden this year. What's your story?

img_2017673_0_ba3f2dd9eae82eae03c07e084fab4692.jpg

img_2017673_1_ea70c34a1783b220296ebfc29c3c85f8.jpg

img_2017673_2_4f08c01235702c4ae0dcd4235db17405.jpg

img_2017673_3_ab4c64337ed6c3ba6fc4639f60b3bf9e.jpg

img_2017673_4_1d55bcd674067d8c5d22e5223403bf3c.jpg

img_2017673_5_dbf0a1b041090181f1d95ec2975c99ed.jpg

img_2017673_6_7d46b6bf6b1dd6b5497353aa19b594ea.jpg

Well I don't want you to be alone here so this is my pic

View attachment 105377

Sorry forgot to quote
@ HN1 I'd like to say you made your garden look really fancy. In other words it looks great.

This is our first garden at this house and it looks really healthy imo. Considering the very hot weather ( 106 degrees) and not much rain. We have been watering with miracle grow about every other night. We have corn,banana peppers,hot peppers,green peppers,cucumber,tomatoes,strawberries and lettuce. And of course the cucumbers are for my fish. ;)

Last edited:
My wife was begging me to put in HER :rolleyes: garden for the last few months, so I got started with it today. My front yard is basically dirt with very little (if any) soil and lots of rocks, so we bought fertilizer today. I will go buy compost tomorrow. Then I will try to remove as many of the rocks as possible. Am I suppose to test the soil every season? Should I do it with test kits or bring my soil to the lab? What's better? She bought some plants today. I need to start doing research on those plants.

Looks good. Don't have pictures uploaded yet, but we have started building a 60'x24' hoop house over part of our garden this year. At this point, we have 50 some tomato plants, 12 assorted pepper plants, a cucumber and a watermellon in the hoop house. Outside we have about 6 more tomato plants, three rows of onions (red, yellow, and white), half a row of spinich (almost finished for the season), half a row of radishes (all finished for the season), and a row of garlic.

I am trying to get a raised garden bed built. As of now it is a hole dug into my backyard that is maybe half the size I want it to be. I am hoping to get it done in time for some fall planting, but the heat is killing me so I don't get out there to dig as often as I would like. I also have a big tree root going through where I want it to be, and that is giving me some problems. Just going to dig on either side of it since it is a raised bed, or will be.

The heat wave took a toll on my garden :( and the rabbits... Lol. They got to my beans before I could put the fencing up. I also had a problem with the bottoms o f my tomatoes being brown, and some kind of disease in my raddishes. Out of the 3 beds, the herb bed was the only successful one. Spearmint, basil, rosemary, cilantro (which bolted really quickly because of the heat), okra (not an herb I know lol), strawberries (also not an herb xP), and pineapple sage. :)

I really really want to start an herb garden. Even if it is just a few pots on my porch. I love cooking with fresh herbs! It's just so hot outside, I don't trust them to survive. I wish I had a nice sunny windowsill...

I really like growing lemon balm, it makes a good tea. And I grow some other herbs as well in little pots to make tinctures with.

I feel wierd posting on this because i dont technically have a garden, but my mother does (we help pick out plants and we plant them every year). On the left side of our house we have two raised planters that are probably 6' by 6' each. In those we have various peppers, tomatos,zucchini (sp), lettuce, peas, artichoke, cucumber, bell peppers, etc. Behind the raised garden she has 3 huge grape vines! To the left of the planters i have my blackberry bush :D then in the backyard we have tons of fruit trees... Apple, orange, peach, lemon, pomogranite, lime, olive, and a grapefruit tree (produces fruit all year round..its pretty neat).

Need more pics folks! :)

Especially of an operation on that scale Randy. We need to do an herb garden once I transplant the berry bushes. We also have greens going in an aerogarden in the house.

Nunu- I wish we had California sunshine here to grow more fruits. I remember my Grandmas house having lemon, orange, cherry, fig, kumquat, avocado.... Everything grew out there. We'll be lucky to have our planned apple and pear trees do well.

Ripe, and ripening! We've picked these in the past couple of days. (For those who didn't know already, HN1 and I are married so it's the same garden he posted upthread.)
img_2019421_0_237ea15acad57c70d21854f9a2b5f4b5.jpg

I agree that more pics are needed. ;)

Last edited:
I'd be embarrassed lol this was my first time with a garden and like I said, it didn't go very well x.x

Don't be embarrassed, our gardening attempt last year wasn't nearly as successful (and there is a lot of stuff we are still waiting on). Live and learn and tweak the plan for next season. :cool:

This our brand new garden, planted with trimmings we received from a friend's grandma for a housewarming present! I can't grow ANYTHING, so it's our first attempt at keeping mostly succulents. I recently killed a bunch of cacti, so here's to hoping!

Attachments

• image-2524881934.jpg
    image-2524881934.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 21
Need more pics folks! :)

Especially of an operation on that scale Randy. We need to do an herb garden once I transplant the berry bushes. We also have greens going in an aerogarden in the house.

Little late, but here you go!

Pictured from the front/side;
img_2122460_0_d80839641524ee60394ead801f4e3f87.jpg

Pictured from the read/side;
img_2122460_1_988ad40180677b00e345c63b5db4f1b3.jpg

Pictured with one of the sides rolled up (course the wife and new puppy had to get in the picture as well);
img_2122460_2_4e7e16711f03bd7644b30cccd981ba58.jpg

Pictures of the inside from both the front door and the rear. I know the pictures don't show it well, but the tomato plants are around 6' tall. We planted several different varieties, including cherry tomatos and several heirloom types.
img_2122460_3_b54fea809702ec4b315935ede444bbab.jpg

Also have some cucumbers and peppers planted inside. We tried a watermelon, but it never made any fruit, just lots of flowers.
img_2122460_4_a27a291b50608ae7b2408782a9cbb3ce.jpg

And finally, some of the produce. We're picking about this many tomatoes every three days, and as you can tell, there are several varieties there.
img_2122460_5_27ddfc10bcf21fe3e6ee1f22c54cd99d.jpg

The wife had made and canned tons of salsa and we've made and canned home-made spagetti sauce and bread and butter pickles as well.

Wy Renegade said:
Little late, but here you go!

Pictured from the front/side;

Pictured from the read/side;

Pictured with one of the sides rolled up (course the wife and new puppy had to get in the picture as well);

Pictures of the inside from both the front door and the rear. I know the pictures don't show it well, but the tomato plants are around 6' tall. We planted several different varieties, including cherry tomatos and several heirloom types.

Also have some cucumbers and peppers planted inside. We tried a watermelon, but it never made any fruit, just lots of flowers.

And finally, some of the produce. We're picking about this many tomatoes every three days, and as you can tell, there are several varieties there.

The wife had made and canned tons of salsa and we've made and canned home-made spagetti sauce and bread and butter pickles as well.

WOW. That is nice. I wish I could get something to grow, haha. My tomato plants crashed and burned this year. Well, mainly burned. It was a hot summer.

A bit late, too! My garden is pretty much dead now except for a few stray peppers and my broccoli & brussel sprouts. I have tried growing a bit of everything over the past decade....some successful, some a total disaster!! But its fun to experiment and see what actually grows! Best tips I can offer is to use garden tarp (eliminates weeding) and miracle gro (I swear by this stuff!) :)

IMG_1255.jpg

Image06132011164905.jpg

Image07052010201052.jpg

Back
Top Bottom