GBR Behavior - pairing/aggression or just pissy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

44Paps44

Aquarium Advice Activist
YouTube

Attached is a 1 minute video of my GBR's in my tank. Any opinions on this behavior would be appreciated. (excluse the sorry looking banana leaf, has since been pruned)

I wouldn't call it aggressive from the male toward the female. I've seen him try to get under her in what looks like an attempt to mate. But she doesn't seem to be receptive. She is younger than he is and they were not put in the tank at the same time. So maybe she isn't mature enough yet for mating?

As feisty as he is to her, she is to other fish. She will color up to almost every other fish (except for Brutus the shark).

Seems the choice to pair up is up to her (when isn't it?). If she never accepts him, is this normal behavior between non-paired GBR's. She doesnt' seem too stressed out and has caught up to him in size and otherwise acts like a GBR should.

It's 2 males! The darker one is dom. And he doesn't want the other male in his tank.. could have sworn we figured this out a while back;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

yeah both males, you can tell by the top fin.

I have two male rams
Electric blue
gold veil

They are both males (gold one is a bit harder to tell but Im pretty sure) I think and do this. My way more planted so its not as constant. they just shoo each other away quickly.
I was wondering about trying to find a female GBR and see if diff variation might pair but Im afraid either the female would be harrassed (if not ignored)
or if 2 do pair agression in them may spike towards everything else in the tank.

Love these rams. Wish I did an entire tank of just different dwarf rams.

It's 2 males! The darker one is dom. And he doesn't want the other male in his tank.. could have sworn we figured this out a while back;)

That thread 'died' out without any additional confirmation/responses after you put the worry in me. Yours is the first I've heard someone call 'her' a male. What makes you believe the female is a male?

Will take a very clear picture of 'her' at lunch and repost. If turns out to be a male, then will handle accordingly.

The dominant male doesn't chase to get rid of the other, and doesn't nip. Will follow more often than not, what's the video is the 'worst' of the aggression.

3 things made perfectly clear in the video. No noticeable pink belly, blue iridescence throughout entire body, finnage. On top of all that, the male is treating him like a male.

3 things made perfectly clear in the video. No noticeable pink belly, blue iridescence throughout entire body, finnage. On top of all that, the male is treating him like a male.

Got it. I thought the pink belly only became evident when sexually mature.

So much 'bad' information out there on identifying a female GBR - if there is 'blue' showing in the black patch, that's supposed to be female. And top finnage is relatively the same size...

urgh...

Here's a pic of my old troop of wc rams. The female up top was very very young. Notice the lower 2, female has the blue spot on the black spot and a slightly pink belly, dorsal fins speak volumes as well. Mind these were plucked from mother nature's pocket. Tank raised strains make all these traits much more pronounced.

Attachments

• 1423061748054.jpg
    1423061748054.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 97
I will take a pic and update when I go home for lunch in an hour or two. The GBR I take to be female looks identical to the middle fish in your pic.

I had similar issues but I noticed that my one female started losing pigment near her dorsal fin (I assumed it was for stress) so I've taken her out of the tank for now. she seems to be doing better...however my alleged male seemed more aggressive than in your video...hope this helps to some extent (I've also had issues sexing rams)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ok, please solve this definitely for me. First pic is he, but the rest are all of what i believe to be female. Did I get it this wrong?

A couple of questions dependent upon gender determination

- Male? What options are available. Will the aggression get to a point where actual damage occurs? The non-dominant fish (she) isn't afraid of him or showing any signs of losing color. It will go find him at times and swim in front of him initiating the chase. Sometimes they jog, sometimes they sprint; but nothing that has ever raised any alarms with me.

- Female - He seems like he follows her more than chases to try to induce her into mating. But she is having no interest. So if they never pair up and the aggression stays mild; will that just be their behavior. Is there a chance of pairing later?

Wish I would caught her with her colors showing but almost forget to take these.

Attachments

• DSC00741.jpg
    DSC00741.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00742.jpg
    DSC00742.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC00743.jpg
    DSC00743.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC00744.jpg
    DSC00744.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 77
Both males!!!

Crap!!!

Not what I wanted to hear but it is what it is.

Goes back to my earlier question. The aggression isn't significant. And there are bigger aggressive fish (Shark, Snakeskin Gourami, Angelfish) to keep things in check.

The dominant one does shoulder check the Angel every now and then, but only when he ventures down to the bottom looking for food and gets pinned in somewhere.

Can they co-exist? Any remedies besides throwing 3 females in there? (which I'd love if I didn't need the platys for the fry)

If they have thus far than I don't see any issue unless you add females, that could change the dynamic completely.. the sub. May eventually stress out and get sick. Personally I'd take the lighter one back for a female.

If they have thus far than I don't see any issue unless you add females, that could change the dynamic completely.. the sub. May eventually stress out and get sick. Personally I'd take the lighter one back for a female.

Not sure if my LFS takes any fish in. They've been in there for four months now. Will have the conversation at least and see how it goes. First I've got to up my female GBR recognition skills quite a bit. Was sure I had it right.

That thread 'died' out without any additional confirmation/responses after you put the worry in me. Yours is the first I've heard someone call 'her' a male. What makes you believe the female is a male?

Will take a very clear picture of 'her' at lunch and repost. If turns out to be a male, then will handle accordingly.

The dominant male doesn't chase to get rid of the other, and doesn't nip. Will follow more often than not, what's the video is the 'worst' of the aggression.

I have 2 boesemani rainbows (male and female) that play grab-a$$ like this all day. They chase, and co-swim around and I just think its normal behavior with fish pairs, unless you see severe aggression. My last GBR was severely aggressive with my other GBR and electric blues. I have always had trouble determining male and female GBR, and had to ditch my last one after he slaughtered my tank.

Side question - I have sand in my tank as well, but no other substrate. Some of my plants have died, but others are thriving. Do you have another substrate under your sand to help your plants? They look very healthy. Do you purchase online?

Found this - Hope it helps. ;)

Side question - I have sand in my tank as well, but no other substrate. Some of my plants have died, but others are thriving. Do you have another substrate under your sand to help your plants? They look very healthy. Do you purchase online?

Thanks.

No other substrate. Have to make sure the plants are planted appropriately. Some plants prefer not to be planted (java fern), 1/4 planted (banana), heavy root feeder (swords). The planted forum has enough people there with a wealth of knowledge if you post pics of your plants there.

Here's a pic of my old troop of wc rams. The female up top was very very young. Notice the lower 2, female has the blue spot on the black spot and a slightly pink belly, dorsal fins speak volumes as well. Mind these were plucked from mother nature's pocket. Tank raised strains make all these traits much more pronounced.

one thing i read was the top fin. Looking at the males they have a point at the back of their top fin while the females end more rounded.

Brookster, quick question;

The less dominant Ram has stopped running from the more colorful one. He won't stand up to the other one but takes his time now I leaving the area. Seems to bring gaining weight faster than the more colorful one. Bought him smaller and he's now very slightly larger. But I want a female and am waiting for my lfs to get some in. So one of these two will need to go. Which would you keep? Do I go based on color, if so there is no question as to which is more aestheticly pleasing?

Anyone feel free to chime in

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

More dominant would be a safe bet, as long as they're both happy and healthy either should do. You could always drop.the female and watch with 2 nets in hand?? Or pull one male and introduce female, observe for an hour. Pull male and add diff. Male?? Someone may/should have a better idea..

Ahhh so glad I asked because I wasn't even thinking about testing for pairing between the two. Removing one sounds like the way to go. Any way to get a heads up on who matches up better to the female? Whichever one I get will be of similar size to them both.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom