gbr/blue ram question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there a difference between gbr and a blue ram?

Saw some blue rams at petsmart tonight and they look just like gbr.

Setting up a 40G breeder for gbr and petsmart is much closer then the other store that sells genuine gbr. If the ones at petsmart are mislabeled and actually are gbr it would save me quite a drive.

Can anyone help me with this??

As far as I'm aware they are the same thing, just different names; I got mine from Petsmart as well.

The one worry I would have with rams from petsmart is where they come from. That is if you plan to breed them. I'v read that Asian breeders use a hormone that makes the rams color up faster at a younger age. This can cause issues with reproduction in the fish. Some one on the forums recommended a place called oddballfish.com to me because I would to try breeding rams. They are a U.S breeder and the fish would come to you door so no long drive to get them! Again that's only if you plan to breed.

My rams are both from Petsmart...and they are beautiful, brightly colored, spunky and clever as ever...but even tho they spawn every three weeks or so...I know I'll never have fry from them. The first time they spawned...I saw him fertilize them and it was at least 48 hours before they ate them. At this point...Hilda eats the eggs without Claus ever getting a chance to contribute...but he sure does chase her around for a week before. I love my rams...but if you want to breed rams..I've heard great things about oddball fish. ;-).

HopefulHobbiest said:
Well then I'll check them out in the morning when I get to work. I appreciate all the insight that everyone has provided :)

Hey AA member rivercats is who told me about oddballfish. This is want he said

Originally Posted by Rivercats

Yep that is alot of the problem. I found a place called Oddballfish.com that breeds their own fish which includes GBR's, the electric blues, and golds. You can order different sizes and sexes you want. That is where all my rams came from this time and all 11 have done great for almost the year I've had them.
Yes!! Oddball fish has the best gbrs hands down.

Back
Top Bottom