GBR Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigJim

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a few questions, so please bear with me.

A little background first: I've been interested in intentionally breeding something more challenging than guppies and I like the look of the rams. I picked up what I thought was a pair of GBRs a few months ago, but they turned out to both be males. They've grown into incredible specimens in my 40B. Last week I found some female GBRs at Petsmart. They're maybe half the size of my males and they're coloring up nicely in my 29g. I've been feeding them twice a day trying to get the females to grow more quickly.

1. How can I tell when a female is ready to breed?
This afternoon I observed one of my female rams digging a hole in both the front right and back left corners of my tank. Is this just normal behavior or a sign that she's ready to spawn?

2. How similar in size should a breeding pair of rams be?
As I stated above, my males are huge and pretty much twice the size of my females. If the females are showing signs of being ready to spawn, I don't want to miss an opportunity, but I don't want the females to get battered by a much larger male either.

3. How should I introduce the males to the females?
Should I put one male in the tank with both females and remove one female after a pair has formed? Should I swap a male and female and hope to get two pairs, one in each tank?

BigJim said:
I've got a few questions, so please bear with me.

A little background first: I've been interested in intentionally breeding something more challenging than guppies and I like the look of the rams. I picked up what I thought was a pair of GBRs a few months ago, but they turned out to both be males. They've grown into incredible specimens in my 40B. Last week I found some female GBRs at Petsmart. They're maybe half the size of my males and they're coloring up nicely in my 29g. I've been feeding them twice a day trying to get the females to grow more quickly.

1. How can I tell when a female is ready to breed?
This afternoon I observed one of my female rams digging a hole in both the front right and back left corners of my tank. Is this just normal behavior or a sign that she's ready to spawn?

2. How similar in size should a breeding pair of rams be?
As I stated above, my males are huge and pretty much twice the size of my females. If the females are showing signs of being ready to spawn, I don't want to miss an opportunity, but I don't want the females to get battered by a much larger male either.

3. How should I introduce the males to the females?
Should I put one male in the tank with both females and remove one female after a pair has formed? Should I swap a male and female and hope to get two pairs, one in each tank?

I don't no any answers but I no my kribs dug under one of my rocks for their cave but how did you tell yours your male and female?

I've heard several ways to attempt to sex rams, but the only ones that seem to hold true is are these:

1. Females have a pink spot on their sides, males don't.

2. Males have a solid black spot under the dorsal fin, females show blue irridescence through the black. Juvenile males will show the blue through the black also. That's how I initially got two males instead of a pair.

Ok thanks my GBR are an inch long closer to inch and half the one has a solid black spot the other isn't as black and there is some blue coming threw the spot but no pink, are they to small to sex still?

If the fish are brightly colored and you don't see any pink spot, I'd suspect you have two males. My females are also in the 1"-2" range and they definitely have the pink spot. It took several weeks in my tank with good food before the male I thought was female colored up and the black spot turned opaque.

BigJim said:
If the fish are brightly colored and you don't see any pink spot, I'd suspect you have two males. My females are also in the 1"-2" range and they definitely have the pink spot. It took several weeks in my tank with good food before the male I thought was female colored up and the black spot turned opaque.

That suck now I got another odd ball argh! My one male krib was to tiny for my liking and now this

I would put one male in the female tank, let them pair off, and move them both back to the breeder after a few days. Then repeat the process with the male. That way the female will be protected by the bigger male mate when you make the big moves. That female definitely sounds like she's ready,but I'd wait a few weeks before giving it a shot.

When your females, and this goes for both GBRs and kribs, get a beautiful cherry red belly (will be deeper cherry on the kribs) and you see her hovering over a certain area, she'll be getting ready. Add your males, let them pair off and chose the final spot. They will most likely change their minds a few times. Give them blood worms or brine shrimp and a water change ever few days with slightly cooler water.

On both species about 1-2 days before the final event, you will see a smallish tube extending from their abdomen area, that's the ovipositor.

DragonFish71 said:
When your females, and this goes for both GBRs and kribs, get a beautiful cherry red belly (will be deeper cherry on the kribs) and you see her hovering over a certain area, she'll be getting ready. Add your males, let them pair off and chose the final spot. They will most likely change their minds a few times. Give them blood worms or brine shrimp and a water change ever few days with slightly cooler water.

On both species about 1-2 days before the final event, you will see a smallish tube extending from their abdomen area, that's the ovipositor.

That's sick thanks for the information on the ovipositor my kribs have already paired up and everything dug a cave and good to go

Thanks Jamie. Should I wait until the males and females are similar size or does it not really matter?

Thanks Jamie. I may try moving one of the males into the tank with the females and see what happens. The males have been arguing a bit anyways.

DragonFish71 said:
Sounds like you might have eggs soon :) Ours are working on it.

Ya the females been all purple and stuff and dug the cave like a week ago though so I don't no what's going on

Jim, I read that a larger male is sometimes beneficial, as the females are more inclined to breed with a larger male.

Remember also that rams protect their fry, so you won't need to remove the parents right away.

I moved one of my male GBRs into the 29g with the females. I underestimated how much bigger the male is. He's easily 2-3x the size of the females, but it doesn't seem to matter. They're all swimming around, flashing their fins, and digging little holes all over the tank. The male seems content to hit on both females at the moment. I've got some pictures, but the computer with the SD card slot is busted for the moment.

Back
Top Bottom